how to beat sea sickness - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Offshore Fishing > Offshore Fishing - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
Snapper

Default how to beat sea sickness

i'm curious how you guys go deep sea fishing and manage to not get sick

some people do not get effected at all because they do not have fluid imbalances in the ears.. 33% of the population and most animals.. but for the 66% of us its absolute hell.
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Non-Senior Member
Grand Slam

My thing is to stay busy. It can be a mental thing. I never get sea sick on my own boat because I am always busy driving and doing other things. But I do get sick on other people's boats occasionaly due to just relaxing on the boat between spots in the seas.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Sailfish

BONINE

Bill
...........................................RETIRED ......
ironman172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

There are actually about thirteen receptors that are responsible for nausea and vomiting. Medically you can only treat about 4-5 of them. There are several OTC meds you can take, Meclizine, Benedryl, and most others have the same ingredients with different names. Best thing to do for me has been the following.
1. Get a good nights rest and get a prescription for the following:
2. Place a Scopolamine Patch on the night before your trip.
It will last three days. It will also make you have a dry mouth and blurred vision when you first awaken. The patch will make you sleepy at first that is why I place them on at night.
3. Zofran 10 mg by mouth under your toungue the morning you leave out.
4. Drink Plenty of water as well.

I have battled this problem and have found the more you fish the less you are affected by sea sickness. I will tell you though I have seen men that have fished all there life get sea sick. It can happen anytime and to any one so dont let it get you down. Man up and catch some fish.

Good Luck
AboutTime236 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
Snapper

Jump in the water for a minute! Works every time with the people I take out ( When I can get them to get in). The key is not to wait until you are about to throw up. As soon as you start feeling it, get in. You don't have to swim just hold on to the back of the boat. ( I do realize this isnt feasible for some boats. That is just what I do!
King Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Snapper

That method has been 100 percent effective for people I take out. I personally do not get seasick, however, I picked that trick up from a charter captain with tons of experience!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mike View Post
That method has been 100 percent effective for people I take out. I personally do not get seasick, however, I picked that trick up from a charter captain with tons of experience!
Very true! Try ginger snaps also as the ginger helps relieve nausea, works great for my wife, and several clients that have tried it!
850-723-1274
Captainmickeyo@yahoo.com
24 Cape Horn "PRETTY TUFF"
Captain Mickey O'Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Snapper

gosh guys as bad as it was yesterday for me and others on our trip i'm not sure that anything would of made a difference.. it was really bad.

i have a new found respect for those crab fisherman in Alaska after that experience
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Snapper

One thing I've heard from coast guard friends is to eat a huge breakfast... probably a good idea to do that anyway if you plan on fishing a long trip!
FishGolfDrink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Snapper

Also young living sells peppermint oil. The smell of the peppermint oil works about half the time. I only pull that out for the people who refuse to get in the water ( I even offered to get in with them!!) I don't understand Why you would rather feel sick all day rather than getting a little wet!! I guess people are just scared of the unknown!! :/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.