Stumped on Led Light for Flounder Gigging!!!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Stumped on Led Light for Flounder Gigging!!!!!

I am in the process of making a couple homemade gigging lights out of pvc for wading..I have all the parts to make one, but I am stumped on what kind of led light to buy..I hear the mr16 led is the right size to fit in the light cell, but their are so many mr16's and diffrent lumens, dont know which one will be the best.. any help on which one to buy, and where to buy one on the internet or store, and a product number, this is the only thing that is giving me a headache on...tks again for any input..
deer1stwife2nd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Greatful Member
Trigger

Default When you find out, please share details!

I too have been researching this issue. The LED's aren't so simple as I thought. Some are rated at multiple power inputs while others are specific. Drivers are required on some... I don't think it will be too hard to drop a resistor to wound the voltage down. The hazard of just plugging it in is to burn out the LED before you begin - very easy todo. .

Do you have a specific housing for the mr16's. I started looking and you are correct about so many variables. It is hard to obtain lumen's as they measure LEDs differently. The spread is important as the light may be more diffused than you want. I know it takes a bit of trial and error.

Best of luck on your design. BTW, if you are using PVC and want less glued connections, try a heat gun blowing inside a metal tube that is slightly larger than the PVC you want to bend. Slide the PVC inside, but not right up on the gun and heat it up. When you pull it out, have gloves on and something to bend it against and form the curves you want. Works well! You may have to trim off the end that is closest to the gun as it will deform. Call me at 850-221-4874 if you want to talk.

Cheers,

Bob
boatnbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Grouper

Fishing lights etc has exactly what you need.
flounderslayerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
Trigger

Default Led lights

I have tried them I find the Led is a very intense light to the point I get a headache after about 45min this is why you see allot of barely used ones for sAle I prefer halogens they are a softer not so intense light. Some folks like them but they are not for everyone.
jigmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #5
over this ***** ....
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounderslayerman View Post
Fishing lights etc has exactly what you need.

get there LEDs you will love them.... very nice bright and last .....

here is a link ...

http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/FlounderLight.html
Dragonfire21281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Tks to all for the post, as far as the light cell, I found a link on utube, under how to make a flounder gigging light, and looks like hes putting a mr 16 bulb in it. now you think the halogen is better than the led, do I need to put any ( im electric illeteriate) know how to run the wires straight, but do I need to put something on it to keep the bulbs burning even while the battery is losing voltage, I hear the bulb will start losing light when the battery is draining, and what kind of wattage on the halogen and lumens do I need to get to make itwhere I can see good under water..tks..
Old 10-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
White Marlin

Here's a couple threads, these guys have been building them for awhile.
http://www.gulfcoastfishingconnectio...earchid=653818
Old 10-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

We use to use mr16 lights for floundering, they are by far better than star fires. all you have to do is get some 2'' to 1 1/2'' pvc reducers and a 1 1/2 pvc cap with a short piece if 1 1/2 pipe to join them together. slide the mr16 in the 2'' side and secure with a thin bead of silicone. as far as the color, we had a light bar of 14 mr16's under the boat with all different color's and some were spots and some were flood’s, with a switch box to control each one of them so you could adjust the best light for what ever water clarity or depth you were in. good luck..

Dan deGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Hey dan thanks for the post, I was getting ready to post about how to secure the bulb in the light cell, you answered my question. tks again for everyones help..
Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Blue Marlin

Dan.....You said
Quote:
We use to use mr16 lights for floundering
What are you using now?
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.