QUESTION FLOUNDER LIGHTS for boat - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default QUESTION FLOUNDER LIGHTS for boat

I have seen a number of Floundering light options on this site as well as on the Web. Im looking to rig my boat and would prefere not to run a generator. For those with experience on this site, what are the best options with LED, is the aquastar rig better , or anything else you might suggest. I don't have a problem with using two deep cycle batteries, to me its quieter that way. Any suggestions, sites to look at, pictures of your rigs for ideas. I can make my own also with some suggestions. I live in the Mobile Bay area.
bmurp98583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
Grand Slam

not pouncing on you, but I see you are a new member and may not know. Only post a question in one section or people will get a little testy. This is the appropriate place for this post. You should be able to get some good help around here, but it is a little slow right now.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

These are Starfire's. They will slip inside of a 1in piece of PVC and can be glued. These are 6in stainless bowels from the grocery store. That stainless will kill a bi-metal holesaw.

Note that is was one of my first setups from 12yrs ago. I now run HPS lights and a generator.

"If ya can't see'em, ya can't stick'em."
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Default Star Fire Set up

I assume that is a 12V you sent in the pictures. Where do I get the star fires. How does the Star fire fit into the PVC to seal.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Yes...12V.......Try WalMart and Academy Sports & Outdoors...........It slips inside once you remove and discard the Gator clips. Then glue it with clear Silicone.

Install ring terminals and a switch from the battery. Do NOT turn these lights on unless they are submerged in water.

Last edited by X-Shark; 07-27-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

I can't remember who I sold these to, but they may want to sell them?
Old 07-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Shark View Post
I can't remember who I sold these to, but they may want to sell them?
That was me! I can't remember if I sold them with my last boat, or separately, but they are long gone. I've switched to the 100W Aquastars, and find them much brighter. 5-6 hours on one 12V, and still bright. They are pretty quiet too .....LOL. Obviously a small shop....when you call you get the owner.....super guy. He even sent me some free parts once.

Last edited by Flounderpounder; 07-27-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Ok, thanks gentleman. Good information. I tried Walmart, and Academy Sports but no luck. Ill look at the Aquastars.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Mingo

Default Starfires

I belive for the price $13.48 at Gulfbreeze Walmart these starfires are tough to beat. I have 2 hand carry flounder lights i made and they work great.I use 2 on each light 100watts for each light, and the group 27 deepcycle battery runs them all night. I had them out with FISHERMON the other night for 6 hours no problems. The globes are removable for cleaning and the bulbs are everywhere for less than a buck. They fit perfect in 1" SCH 40 PVC so the sky's the limmit on what you can design and build.
banjovie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

I've been to all three walmarts in Mobile and can't find them. What department at walmart are they in? I look in the flashlight, marine, sporting goods, aquarium, automotive and haven't seen them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.