Nee advice, new to flounder gigging, how to set up boat? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Flounder Gigging

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Nee advice, new to flounder gigging, how to set up boat?

1987 14' Starcraft
  1. <LI>Bow mounted trolling motor with hand control or transom mounted with foot control?</LI><LI>if bow mounted, will the motor scare the flounder even if it is behind the lights?</LI><LI>I plan on constructing PVC frame on hinges that I can flip down onto surface of water (attached to top of bow) when gigging, should the lights be in, on, or above the water surface?</LI><LI>will an onboard generator scare the fish? I figured I'd get a generator to run lights, and other auxilary equipment. </LI><LI>is this boat good enough for floundering? I am restoring it currently, so it is stripped as you will see in pics.</LI>

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Nee advice, new to flounder gigging, how to set up boat?-100_1445-jpg   Nee advice, new to flounder gigging, how to set up boat?-100_1452-jpg   Nee advice, new to flounder gigging, how to set up boat?-100_1446-jpg  
Kodiak_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Nee advice, new to flounder gigging, how to set up boat?

Quote:
Kodiak_Man (7/28/2008)1987 14' Starcraft
  1. <LI>Bow mounted trolling motor with hand control or transom mounted with foot control?</LI><LI>if bow mounted, will the motor scare the flounder even if it is behind the lights?</LI><LI>I plan on constructing PVC frame on hinges that I can flip down onto surface of water (attached to top of bow) when gigging, should the lights be in, on, or above the water surface?</LI><LI>will an onboard generator scare the fish? I figured I'd get a generator to run lights, and other auxilary equipment. </LI><LI>is this boat good enough for floundering? I am restoring it currently, so it is stripped as you will see in pics.</LI>

Thank you!
1. Definitely bow mounted hand control, foot control will be nothing short of a disaster waiting to happen!!!

2. It will never even phase them, I've ran over them and practically brushed them with prop and came back and stuck them.

3.If you are using halos, hps or any other AC light system they will have to be mounted on the boat, above the water to avoid electrocution.

4. A generator is definitley the way to go, never had a problem with it spooking fish as many others on here can attest.

5. With a little TLC it should make a great boat as long as the draft isn't more than about 8-10" or less preferably.

There are a lot of very knowledgle guys on here that I'm sure can give you some more ideas or pointers. You will find that it is somewhat of a trial and error process. You just have to find what works best for you depending on where you are fishing, what type of water clarity to are working with as well as what your budget is. Believe me the possibilities are endless. Just a fair warning once you get started you will never be able to stop!!!

www.litethenitecharters.com
Five Prongs Of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Just a fair warning once you get started you will never be able to stop!!!

Ain't that the truth. This will be the 4th time in 10yrs rerigging my boat. Each time it get's a little better.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #4
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Quote:
X-Shark (7/29/2008)
Quote:
Just a fair warning once you get started you will never be able to stop!!!
Ain't that the truth. This will be the 4th time in 10yrs rerigging my boat. Each time it get's a little better.
I agree with the above! I have rerigged mine at least 4 times in the last 3 years.

If your budget will allow you tobuy the hps lights do it from the start, after a year or so I had spent more money replacing the halos than the hps cost. There is a major difference between the lights.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Mingo

It is definitely addictive!!! I agree with the other guys, start out with a generator if you can. The Honda clones (Kipor makes a really good one) are the way to go if you are looking at starting without spending a ton of money. There are a bunch of us who are changing light set-ups, so you could possibly find some good deals on lights if you are interested. I started with only 2 lights on the front of my boat and now I am up to 6, so you don't have to spend a ton of money to have a fun time.......
wareagle22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
Sailfish

That should make a fine little gigging boat. Since it'sglass you will want to keep it as light as possible so you can still get in the skinny water. Might want to set aside some funds for a trailer. The one it's sitting on looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Sailfish

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Rider

In my humble opinion I think after you sink a bunch of money into that boat and rig it for floundering . You are going to be very disapointed when you find that your boat is drawing to much water to get up on the beach where the flounder are laying. For the money you are fixin to spend go and get you a used old john boat. Not trying to burst your bubble this is just MHO
Midnight Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks to you all for your advice and oppinions! I haven't put this boat in the water yet so I'm not sure how low it will sit, but I plan on keeping it as light as possible. I've tried gigging on my buddies 12'aluminum Jon with decent success (*rays and mullet) but he is so impatient that I rarley get the chance to do any serious gigging. He has a millionwatt candle power hand held light but it drains the battery too quickly and I have to put itdown to gig.I'll attach a pic of a ray I gigged in pitch black dark (since Ihad to put the light down) It was an awesome strike to the top of the head and quite a fight! I haven't had any luck finding flounder in the shallow waters around Spectre Island, but am already addicted.

As far as the trailer, yes, I am currently looking for another used one in better condition for cheap. The one it's on is rusted so bad it's beyond all repair. I will look up those lights that were suggested as well as that Honda generater. Thanks again for all the tips!
Attached Thumbnails
Nee advice, new to flounder gigging, how to set up boat?-ray-jpg  
Kodiak_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Sailfish

Did you eat the Ray? I thought those things had to be bled out once landed. If you did eat it, how'd you cook it? Was it tasty?
Shiznik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #10
Sailfish

I'vefried up someray and it's actually pretty good. Has a lemontwang to it.
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.