Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Twas a rough night on the gulf...

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sharkwrangler 
#1 · (Edited)
Met up with Justin618 and Sharkwrangler (Patrick) at an old fish in hole on the gulf at around 7 pm last night. Justin and I got out there first and got set up. I yakked the bait out in the outback and man, what a difference between the old ocean kayak and the hobie! Took on those 2 ft waves like they were nothing. Dropped off my frozen bonita and Justin's king carcass about 500 yds out and came back in.
About an hour later, Patrick gets there with a fresh 2 ft wide butterfly ray he had just caught at sykes. As he is cutting it up and gets set up, I noticed my line on the 12/0 has shifted from 11:00 to 1:00 and is super tight. I ran with the pole toward the dunes and after 15-20 minutes of fighting, I had a 92 inch fat Nurse shark on the sand. Some people on the beach helped with holding the pole and took some pics with Justin's phone (hence the low quality) while we pulled it up on shore.
Patrick had since taken half his ray out and within about 30 minutes, his 14/0 started screaming. A 15 minute battle yielded a 76 inch sandbar, which also swam away like a champ. I don't have any pics of this one, but Justin can upload later. After that, there were several runs, but no more hookups. All in all, it was a good night even with rough surf and high winds!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hey now, my phone is good. That lady just sucked lol.

Was a good night. Lots of runs. Might be the new spot until other spot clears.

I didn't get a single run. Lol. Had faith in that king. I'm 3 for 3 on king before last night. Oh well, maybe next time.

Patrick's sandbar. Was a good night. No issues and got sharks out fast. I'll fish with you guys anyday

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.