Thank your Dad for taking you fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Thank your Dad for taking you fishing

Some of my earliest memories are of my Dad dragging me out of bed and into his truck, headed off to Johnson's Beach for a full day of surf fishing. We would drive all the way to the end of the old road and haul gear a million miles before we set up, often stopping along the way to run up a dune to check for good holes. He had about 5-6 3 piece Zebco rods with an assortment of Mitchell and Penn reels, handmade spikes and the biggest homemade flea rake you've ever seen. I got blisters and calluses from raking with that beast. We would fish all day and load up on pompano, nothing else. If we caught a sheepshead or whiting, we would throw it back. We were there for one purpose only. I grew up not knowing about pier fishing, bridge fishing or boat fishing. All I knew was surf fishing and that was fine by me. Here I am 40 years later, perpetuating the same thing with my family. Today I'll go see my Dad, a luxury I know not everyone has. As I walk into the house through the garage I'll see those same rods hanging on the wall and have some fond memories. He doesn't fish anymore, says he's got too much to do in the yard. I know he's too proud to tell me walking in beach sand kills his back and legs. So thank your Dad if he got you started fishing and Happy Fathers Day to all.
pompanostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Trigger

Amen! Good Read.
outdoorkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Sailfish

right on!...great post.

On a side note pompanostradamus..I always follow your reports and predictions. This morning the water was murky brown dirty from all that rain...right after the wind picked up..bonita moved in mixed with a few kings...( at the end of the pier)

Pompanostradamus what do you predict for the surf this coming days...need some pompano fix bad. lol .... Thanks.
Fishermon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Snapper

my dad hated fishing and the drive but he took me anyway. my granpda and grandma though loved it and were the ones who taught me how to fish.
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Mingo

Thanks for reading and replying. Fishermon, the wind will lay down tomorrow but I think there is still some junk in the water. If you have a spot that is consistently deep close in and fairly clear, try it. Still fleas all over, find the colonies and set up where the bait is. Wind and surf crank back up mid-week but lay down again by Friday. I hear there is a low in the Gulf so stay tuned for that. Honestly I wanted to fish this weekend but I took my girls surfing over the last 3 days.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Snapper

always go on weather.gov and click our area's box.. then click the box over the ocean near the shore.. and it will tell you how choppy, rough, or smooth things will be and will tell you wave heights.

i actually like to go when its 2-4 feet.. seems like the schools of quality fish move closer to shore when its a bit rough.. when its too rough its just tough to fish, and when its smooth the bite seems slower. thats been my experience
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Great post Pomp. My Dad has been gone a long time, but I still think of him every time I go fishin'
gatoryak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Great Post Pompanostradamus,
Like you my Dad was the first to take my brothers and I fishing.For the past several years we had been making a yearly trip every fall down to pensacola beach to kind of re-pay him for taking us for so many times.He would be like a kid-at-christmas time when August would come and September would begin cause He was always ready to go fishing with his boys,and we were always ready too !We lost our Dad July 9th of last year and we still made our trip down as a way of Honoring and Remembering our Dad .We,re making it down this year too at the end of September,cause You can never have too many Great memories !
Thanks again Man,Mike
mcbig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
Mingo

I knew everybody else had a great story, thanks for sharing yours. Hope y'all have good weather and good luck for your annual trip!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Default Great Post

Great Post!!
Coach H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.