Fort Pickens - Gulf Side - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Fort Pickens - Gulf Side

Caught 7 ladyfish in the morning with shrimp, sand fleas and even 2 on empty hooks! Then spy'd a school of mullet moving past and snagged 17 of them in my cast net. Not any bites the rest of the day but was a great day outdoors and the first time in a long time I brought home food. The mullet fed a 4th of July party - fresh and tasty!
Attached Thumbnails
Fort Pickens - Gulf Side-img_20120704_131957-jpg  
GulfSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
Sailfish

Welcome. How was the june grass in the surf?
PAWGhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Team Gills Gone Wild
White Marlin

Great catch. Whats the best way to cook up those mullet?
Kenton is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Grouper

nice! gulf mullet are the best. the best way to cook them is to fillet them, skin them then fry them jokers. a close second is to fillet them then smoke them.
jakec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakec
nice! gulf mullet are the best. the best way to cook them is to fillet them, skin them then fry them jokers. a close second is to fillet them then smoke them.
2 and make shure they are fresh u cant beat fresh mullet.
jmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Snapper

no june grass.

i saw tons of schools of mullet on the beach side there, didn't know what they were until i got my snorkel gear and went in. wish i had a net, those things would of been a nice dinner

anyone ever catch them on bread? reminds me of my freshwater days targeting shad and shiners on dough lol
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Yeah - no grass and clear water but a heck of a current towards the pass - I had trouble getting anything to sit on bottom even with 4oz pyramid weights - had nothing heavier.

I marinated the mullet fillets in zesty italian dressing, battered in spicy breading and fried them all up - everyone loved them and commented on how fresh they were. My wife is expert at cleaning them now which is even better. I have mullet scales all over the back porch though.

I've never seen schools like that in the gulf, is that rare (I've only really started fishing aka "learning" since this spring)?
GulfSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfSteve
Yeah - no grass and clear water but a heck of a current towards the pass - I had trouble getting anything to sit on bottom even with 4oz pyramid weights - had nothing heavier.

I marinated the mullet fillets in zesty italian dressing, battered in spicy breading and fried them all up - everyone loved them and commented on how fresh they were. My wife is expert at cleaning them now which is even better. I have mullet scales all over the back porch though.

I've never seen schools like that in the gulf, is that rare (I've only really started fishing aka "learning" since this spring)?
Ive been on the bay side one the peir and seen em swimming through in schools of thousands. But we dont usually have no trouble getting em exspecially around the pass just gotta get to em before they start going down.
jmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Snapper

they are running right now. the thing is the water is clear and calm so you can see the schools.. they will stick near the surface in groups and come into the shallows to feed.
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.