Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Day 2 - 5/2/16 Fort Morgan

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Chechem 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I got a late start this morning, because I decided to go eat breakfast at Hazel's before hitting the beach. They have a breakfast buffet that is pretty dang good. So after several biscuits and gravy and about a pound of bacon I hit the beach. The water was still on the muddy and tannic side. I only caught 1 pompano, and 3 whiting this morning. Even the catfish weren't hungry, I only caught 2 or 3. I came back to the house talked to my wife for a little bit, then I grabbed my cast net and hit the bay. The mullet were scarce , but I caught 3. Then I checked my crab traps. Lots of crabs , but most were small I probably only kept 6 or so. That's the tally so far. I'll post pictures in a bit.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I got a late start this morning, because I decided to go eat breakfast at Hazel's before hitting the beach. They have a breakfast buffet that is pretty dang good. So after several biscuits and gravy and about a pound of bacon I hit the beach. The water was still on the muddy and tannic side. I only caught 1 pompano, and 3 whiting this morning. Even the catfish weren't hungry, I only caught 2 or 3. I came back to the house talked to my wife for a little bit, then I grabbed my cast net and hit the bay. The mullet were scarce , but I caught 3. Then I checked my crab traps. Lots of crabs , but most were small I probably only kept 6 or so. That's the tally so far. I'll post pictures in a bit.
so glad to hear some good reports on this area. I'll be at mile marker 4 in a few weeks. Hoping to do as well as you!

#4 ·
Yeah, they like'em. I've got a couple packs in my tackle box , but I tend to not use them unless my shrimp supply is in a bad way. I have tied a few leaders just for fishing with the fish bites. I don't put all the bright corks and beads on them, as I feel that the fish bites are bright and flashy enough all on their on. Thanks for the atta-boy.

#6 ·
Just to see if anybody knows, can you identify which crab in the top picture is a female ? I didn't know how to tell the sex of them, without turning them over until last year. I can't believe I didn't know how simple it is to identify them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.