Ghost Shrimp for bait... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Smile Ghost Shrimp for bait...

Old "Pcola-born" will be home for Thanksgiving! (Lord willing)...was wondering if I should drive my fishing car so I can chase some pompano/whiting on P-cola beach and use ghost shrimp for bait. I know it's getting cold and was wondering if ghost shrimp get hard to find (like sand fleas) when the water is colder.

OBTW, got an Alvey rod/reel so I'm ready to cast out pass the 2nd/3rd sandbar and keep my feet dry...(don't like shark bites...)

I got a shrimp pump, a sand flea rake, beach cart, 11-12 foot rods and Alvey and Lew speed spinning reels...I'm ready for some "Black Friday" fishing!

HANA'PA (Hawaiian for "FISH ON")

Pcola-born
Pcola-born is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
Snapper

Ghost shrimp can be found year round. I seem to find more during the winter months.
PurpleNGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleNGold View Post
Ghost shrimp can be found year round. I seem to find more during the winter months.
Same here. But the only problem I have with them is I find I almost have to use them when sight fishing because if anything is around they will strip that shrimp off your hook faster then you can pull in slack. If anyone has a trick to hokking these things to last longer please post it.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Default Ghost Shrimp for Bait...

Thanks guys for the replies...do all p-cola beaches have them or are there "better spots" (ie., chicken bone, fort pickens, the cross etc.) that have more ghosties...thinking about bringing some back to Melbourne to put in the refrig until the following weekend...have anyone tried keeping them for a week or more?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Snapper

Not sure about P cola but in GS and OBA you can find them on pretty much all the beaches. Low tide is the best time to go after them. I've frozen then before and they work just as well, but they fall apart easier. I was told to salt them when freezing them but I haven't tried it yet.
PurpleNGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

PurpleGold,

Thanks for the reply. Will hunt some down once I get to P-cola--I hear that the pomps are still biting but the long-range weather report has the high only being 62 on 25 Nov and the low in the mid 40s (that's awful for a central Florida resident like me...LOL)

HANA'PA

Pcola-born

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.