fishing for skate - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Location: soon to be Destin and navarre area possiblyrics Niceville or pace.
Default fishing for skate

whats the best way to catch skate? ive caught one on accident before but ive herd they are good shark bait and im gonna find out how good myself but if there is any special way of catching them id really apriciate your advice.
azerake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
Snapper

We always got them gigging. I will be honest.. It seemed to me that the sharks like everything but the rays. We run several rigs.. always had one out there.. usually for 5 or so hours without anything but crab marks.. so.. use bonita, kings, spanish, blue fish, barracuda, ladyfish, hardyail, mullet.. pretty much ALL of those are better for sharks speaking from experience. I would say the best are the bonita, king, spanish, cudA.. we butter fly them. Always catch sharks.. but they do say on tv the skates work.. i just havent found that true. Id say anything bloody and oily would work better.
King Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Mike View Post
We always got them gigging. I will be honest.. It seemed to me that the sharks like everything but the rays. We run several rigs.. always had one out there.. usually for 5 or so hours without anything but crab marks.. so.. use bonita, kings, spanish, blue fish, barracuda, ladyfish, hardyail, mullet.. pretty much ALL of those are better for sharks speaking from experience. I would say the best are the bonita, king, spanish, cudA.. we butter fly them. Always catch sharks.. but they do say on tv the skates work.. i just havent found that true. Id say anything bloody and oily would work better.
oh, well that sucks so you think a spanish or a king? imma go with that and try for some bonita when i can.prolly just catch a couple lady fish then work for some spanish and kings, i planed on fishing for them at the same time anyways, get a couple keepers and maybe put one on there
Old 07-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
Professional bad ass
Snapper

A numba 1 hod-tails!
-WiRtH- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Just curious, but are you guys shark fishing from the surf? Cause if so I may not let my kids swim next week while we're down there...well, maybe my step son!
animalspooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Senior Yakker
Sailfish

Sharks are everywhere 'spooker. Don't worry about them, they don't want your kids.
Yakavelli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Not even the step son?
animalspooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Snapper

Send a message via Yahoo to Magic Mike

Don't worry about the sharks bud... I'd advise you not to swim at dawn or dusk or with any cut causing massive blood loss, but other than that you're more likely to get hit by lightning than attacked by a shark. The media and Jaws have really outdone themselves on creating/strengthening this phobia
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to TURTLE

I can tell ya if you want skate, come to my dock and try to catch anything else and skate will be all you catch, lol.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalspooker View Post
Just curious, but are you guys shark fishing from the surf? Cause if so I may not let my kids swim next week while we're down there...well, maybe my step son!
yeah you can fish from the surf but like the other guy said dont worry bout em i had a shark chase a dead bait in and i was king fishing and didnt notice him till i pulled the bait out of the water and i was about chest deep and he finaly seen me, and took off like a bat out of hell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.