Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Tenacious Neap 11FeB

4K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  LIM-IT-OUT 
#1 · (Edited)
Got out today and did the same thing... look for fish. Especially Gator trout. Maximized most of my time lately to the dedication of finding, hooking, fighting and releasing those yellow mouthed purpled headed fish. After evaluating the day one may not expect a day like today to be very successful # neap tide, 25mph winds, cold and dirty water and a fishing app/calander that says today will be a bad day to fish...

Lets rewind a week into the past shall we. Its been below 55 consistantly with nights getting into the low 40's or even high 30's. The tides were fluctuating steady with decent high to low spectrum and we have had a steady wind from the North. Today however was much different completely opposite in every way except for wind speed however it was coming from a different direction. Im talking about how weather patterns can dictate when fish bite just as much as the tidal charts or in this case even more so. Lets break down as to why tidal movement is a good thing, well for obvious reason it gets the water moving, raises / lowers the water which brings bait to areas and or allows fish to reach areas where they couldn't have otherwise. Those are just some general formalities of how tide plays its role into dictating wheather or not its going to be a good day to fish or not... but is it 100% full proof? Of course not which brings up my point of how weather patterns can play just as big a role as the tidal chart regardless of what the tide maybe doing. Wind can push water just like the tide does and can add or subtract water from any given area based upon wind direction. Thus with a given direction wind you may have a incoming or outgoing tide... per say.

After being in the water for about 2 hours today I finally landed my first fish it was a solid 18-20" trout. I paused for a moment and conducted a survey as to why I thought the fish was there surveying water movement, depth, clarity, bottom contour, even calculating how long the sun hits that bank for... exc exc. By my 5th cast in the same spot I realized something just within casting distance a mudline in the water or tide line however you want to call it and it was moving along with the wind pretty fast. The wind was blowing so hard it created line between dirty water down wind and cleaner water up wind... PA POW!! for as long as that line was in front of me it was game on, just magical. I landed 3 trout over 21" although nothing over 23" with a handful between 17-18". The magical line was moving away from me with every passing minute that went by. At this point I desperately needed a fishing partner to snap some pics and high five ( i was wading so pictures wasn't a big part of this trip unfortunately ) So I made way back to the truck to give Ole Jeff a call to let him know its was ON, but he couldnt make it out. So content with the day I decided to leave the fish biting.

*** all fish over 21 were released right away they swam away strong and I hope to see them reach 30" one day

Tight Lines and Good Fishin

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks buddy!

Although I cant say the conditions where bad if the fish are biting the conditions are good... for them at least.

A Guy once told me, " there is always a bite you just have to find it " he also said that when its tuff " you have to believe the fish are there"

Those maybe just excuses to keep casting hahaha its always just a matter of time before you find the fish, you just have to believe.

#10 ·
Thanks for the report and fishing lesson. When we fish over here in Venice and the Miss. River we watch our boat prop wash a lot. Our water is naturally muddy, clear water for us is when you can see your prop! Well, muddy fresh water is less dense ( lighter ) than saltwater. Thus a lot of times what looks like muddy water is simply fresh muddy water floating on the top of clear saltwater just a couple of feet down. Some of our best fishing occurs when you see your prop stirring up clear water. Trout and reds love this condition !

#18 ·
Thanks for the great report, Josh. Always enjoy reading your stuff. Very instructive. As an old retired Marine (read maybe a little too out of shape to be wading) I probably need to try to figure this out from my boat. Would love to get out with you once or twice, either on my boat or yours (where I pay for the gas, etc) and get some real instruction from a guy that seems to know this area cold. I'm going to live here till I die, would love to be a little better at harvesting a little seafood from the local waters......

#19 ·
Hey Im always up for a fishing trip! And if you want to hire a guide I can point you in some great directions. What waters do you normally fish? Perdido, the sound, black water, escambia, pensacola bay? You choose the destination. Also what kind of boat do you have?

If you like feel free to call me at
650 201 4604
Josh

#20 ·
Visiting with my brother and sis-in-law at St George Island. I'll give a call when I get back in a few days.

I have a Blackjack 224 with 250 Yamaha. Humminbird 999 HDSI side scanner and MinnKota Riotide w/ iPilot Link. Love it....

#25 ·
yep
and right before that we have cooling morning/nights and before that we have a nice bit of rain and then that brings us to today...

- beautiful conditions now

- then rain

- then cold

- then neap

then I bet it looks to be beautiful again:yes:

weather patterns and tides ---- I believe there to be a trend around here:shifty:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.