Started bad but ended good! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Started bad but ended good!

My buddy and I figured we would brave the elements today and got on the water around 5a.m.Things started slow,we were both fishing topwaters.I had a decent fish blow up on,set the hook on it and SNAP my rod broke right above the reel seat(kinda my fault that it broke there because I dropped my rod locker lid on it last week in the spot were it broke)but it still sucked.We moved spots further south around White point. Made a few casts and a huge gator trout rolled on my spook.Drag started sceaming,I couldn't even get her turned around.She ended up rolling on my line pulling the hooks loose.We only ended up getting a few more bits but NO fish in the boat yet.We headed back up to the east side of Escambia where the wind wasn't beating the crap out of us.The wind was still blowing pretty stout on the east side too so I kept putting the Talon down,make a few casts so on so forth.Well much to my dismay the Talon got stuck in the down positition,so I couldn't go anywhere and of course I didn't have any tools to fix it.My buddy and I made few calls and finally got the calvary came over the rolling horizon in a 21' Canyon Bay.Thankfully dabutcher could make some time to bring me some tools.Thanks again!After the Talon was removed I figured we would go try one more spot before going in.We caught 5 schooly specks around 13'' and a few catfish,at this point I would have been happy with a pinfish.We were about to call it quits when something slammed my spook.It was a 24 1/4 red with 4 or 5 buddies with him.I caught one of his buddies that was 18'' and my buddy had one blow up on his topwater but missed the hooks.We also ended up catching 3 keeper specks 18''-16''.So the day wasn't a complete failure but it took way to long to find fish today.Here are some pics of the new boat minus the Talon for those who asked.
Attached Thumbnails
Started bad but ended good!-002-800x600-jpg   Started bad but ended good!-003-600x800-jpg   Started bad but ended good!-005-800x600-jpg   Started bad but ended good!-006-600x800-jpg   Started bad but ended good!-007-600x800-jpg  

Started bad but ended good!-008-600x800-jpg  
fsu alex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Trigger

Man I cannot wait to get down there next month I hope the weather is stabilized by then. Great looking boat!
ctilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
White Marlin

Very Nice, when do we eat?
Hydro Therapy 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
Grouper

I'm glad that you were able to put a few fish in the boat. I think that we have both learned not to use the Talon's rough water mode on a mud or sand bottom. Did you head to the north after I left you guys this morning?
dabutcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
Grouper

Yeah we went just north of the bridge.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

Nice boat Alex I can't find white point which one is it? Is it labeled on Google earth?
Thanks
oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Grouper

If your looking at Google earth. It's the point east of Garçon point bridge. There are two points there White point is the one closest to East bay.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Grouper

Hey Guys! I already told you that there are only catfish and skip jacks in our upper bays. You guys should fish in the sound. That's where all the big slot reds and gator specks hangout.
dabutcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

That's a pretty looking red!
REELhorny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Make it a Grady Day.
Sailfish

Thanx for report & pics.
DAWGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.