Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Reds and Trout in the Sound: 4/23

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Jeffbro999#2 
#1 ·
With the front passing through and north winds blowing, I figured the reds would be up shallow feeding heavily and they definitely were. Mullet were getting crushed everywhere and it didn't take long to find some hungry fish. Actually, first cast of the day I was hooked up! I was throwing a "new to me" lure I haven't used, the Rapala Twitchin Minnow, and they were loving it. Worked great in the shallow grass, since it doesn't go deep at all.

Fished around some docks and caught a few slots, and then the Bulls came out to play. Made a dangerous cast up into some old pilings, and watched 10 Bulls come out and destroy it! Hooked one, and it took off ripping drag over to the dock next to it and started weaving and wrapping me around the pilings all the way to shore! I weaved the PDL through a few of the pilings and then went shallow and jumped out to try to get her landed. After unwrapping from 5 or 6 pilings and thinking I'm free, I noticed it was back to the other dock! Luckily was only around 2 pilings and the line held up again. Finally got the Boga hooked up and she was landed. What a battle that was!!! Haven't ever had that happen while wading, and it was an experience for sure.

Made my way out away from the docks, and started drifting over some sand/grass mix. Must have seen around 50 reds in the area, so I staked off and started fishing. Hooked another bull that decided it wanted to keep the Twitchin Minnow and broke me off. Switched to the Subwalk and they were crushing it to! Caught several nice slots blind casting and caught 2 sight fishing as they swam by.

Around sunset, the trout decided they wanted to feed and they started smashing topwater close to shore. Caught several nice trout that were hanging around the mullet schools, and then the N wind started really blowing and sent me back to the ramp.

Most reds were found in 2-3' in thick grass near sand. Trout were in the sandy areas and everything was feeding heavily on mullet. Caught fish on a fluke and Xrap as well, so everything seems to be working right now. Here's a few pics I took during the day.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.