Gone Fishin' Too 4/12/2010 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Gone Fishin' Too 4/12/2010

Well I was off Monday, and didn't really have plans to go fishing, I really needed to do some chores around the house. I planned on cleaning the garage and about 5 minutes into it, I thought "the hell with this!!!!, it's too nice not to go fishing". It was going to be a late start and I wouldn't be getting the boat on the water until about noon, but I didn't care. My wife was working and I called her after I was already in route with the boat in tow so she couldn't make me feel guilty, and I told her "Sorry I've been such a bum around the house lately, I plan on making it up to you--------So I'm going to go work on my tan!!!!" :moon:moon:moon

She didn't think it was as funny as I did, but when nature calls, you just have to heed the call.

I bought a couple of downrigger's from a PFF member a couple months ago and didn't really have a chance to try them out since grouper fishing was closed until April 1st:banghead:banghead:banghead. Well I got some great advice from a fellow PRFA member and decided to give it a try. Since I have never used a downrigger I figured I better start out with just one. I set the downriggera few feet off the bottom pulling a lure similar to a stretch 25' with a smaller lip on it. I wanted to use a pink or red/white color lure, but the only ones I had were green with tiger stripes. I started pulling it east of Fort Pickens and headed west towards the Fort. It was no more that 5 minutes and my rod was bouncing - Fish On!!!!! It wasthe nicest grouper that I have caught in the bay, I'm not sure how much it weighed, but it was about 26 inches long. I thought this was going to be too easy. I tried to get my limit of gags, which is 2 :banghead, and never did get another knock down all the way to the pier. I thought with one gag it was already my lucky day, and I pulled up the downrigger and whipped out my cobia rod and rounded the corner into the gulf to see if I could find my first cobia. I slow trolled in about 10 feet of water all the way up to the beach pier with no sightings. The water was pretty and clear in the 10 ft range. I didn't have much expectations in my boat in being able to actually sight one, drive the boat, cast on it, hook it and land it by myself, but it sure did beat cleaning the garage. After going to the beach pier, I turned around and cruised back to the bay to try to catch my 2nd grouper. This time I got brave and tried both downriggers at the same time. That is a real challenge to manage both downriggers and drive the boat and try to keep the boat at the same depth range. I drove around for another hour or so with no more luck. I did get some good experience and had a great time. I can't wait to try it again.

"GONE FISHIN' TOO"

(Recreational Fisherman)
2001 19' Cape Horn
200 HPDI Yamaha
Pensacola,FL
kniejac@hotmail.com
Christopher Knieja
cell # 850-261-9409
MMSI# 338089788
Secretary of the PRFA http://www.fishpensacola.net
Gone Fishin' Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Gone Fishin' Too 4/12/2010

Great work!! That is a stud grouper
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
captbrad@southagain.com
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
White Marlin

way to go christopher:clap that's a nice fish and will feed the family...and a heckuva lot better than cleaning the garage! (which i need to do too)...
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the worked are so formidable as the will and moral and courage of free men and women. It is a weapon adversaries in today's world do not have". -Ronald Reagan, USA
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

wow great fish. I tried the very thing on tuesday with no luck. but i did ge tto watch the blues and catch a few reds. Ill have to try again now that ive seen that fish of yours.
KAYLEIGH E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
~~~~~~~Creepin'~~~~~~~
Grand Slam

Nice grouper brother....at least you are getting the hang of them down riggers!:letsdrink Great job getting out and enjoying this weather we are having!:letsdrink

Genesis 1:26

God said,“Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky,over the livestock and all the wild animals,and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Grouper

Excellent report! :hungry
Private Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
Grouper

Good job! I betthe wifewas happy when dinner time arrived with that fresh grouper...
www.hotspotstackle.com
Chris Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #8
Sailfish

You should recruit some help from the forum- lots of people on here would have loved to go with you and help. I have taken a guy fishing(from the forum) on my boat before and it was a good experience. Most folks want to help with gas, bait, ice, etc.
Garmin 540S GPS/Bottom Machine
Sound by Clarion and Bazooka
Coastal Night Lights Transom LED's
Minn Kota Riptide Co-Pilot/Auto Pilot GPS Enabled Remote Control Trolling Motor
mdrobe2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
Snapper

We had Grouper tonight!!!!! It was delicious. We grilled one whole fillet and I chunked up the other half and deep fried it with Zatarain's Southern Crispy fish fry. I also cut out the cheeks and throat and deep fried them. It was awesome!!! We cooked a lot of fish and there wasn't much left over. I can hardly move. Can't wait to do it again.

"GONE FISHIN' TOO"

(Recreational Fisherman)
2001 19' Cape Horn
200 HPDI Yamaha
Pensacola,FL
kniejac@hotmail.com
Christopher Knieja
cell # 850-261-9409
MMSI# 338089788
Secretary of the PRFA http://www.fishpensacola.net
Gone Fishin' Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Gone Fishin' Too (4/14/2010)We had Grouper tonight!!!!! It was delicious. We grilled one whole fillet and I chunked up the other half and deep fried it with Zatarain's Southern Crispy fish fry. I also cut out the cheeks and throat and deep fried them. It was awesome!!! We cooked a lot of fish and there wasn't much left over. I can hardly move. Can't wait to do it again.
how dare you....you need to be using our "Krispys fish fry"

good job on the grouper....i will bring you a sample of our fish fry to the next get together!!!:clap
bluffman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.