Escambia/Pensacola bay 8/18 good variety - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Escambia/Pensacola bay 8/18 good variety

Dabutcher and I left out of Archie Glover at 5:15.The first spot we stopped at has been producing some redfish lately.It didn't disappoint.We caught 4 redfish rangeing from 18''-25'' ad had some specks mixed in as well.We moved acrossed the bay and started catching some good quality specks from 18''-23''.Once the bite slowed down there we headed south to Pensacola bay.It wasn't the best decision because there wasn't very many mullet and the specks and reds were few and far between.We did manage 7 or 8 specks though.We headed back north and as we were leaving the jack crevalles surfaced.So we stopped and I hooked up on one.I had about a 10 minute fight before it was ready to come in.After that fished a spot and I caught a nice 24'' trout that crushed my mirrodine 2' from the boat,luckily he was hooked good because he doing some acrobatics boat side for a minute before dabutcher netted him.Dabutcher also caught a nice little black snapper on a mirrodine.We headed back to the spot we caught the good specks at earlier and caught a few more.Then hit up the spot where we caught the reds at and got 2 more a 18'' and 28''.Final tally 25+ specks and 6 redfish. Sorry for the sideways pics my computer wouldn't let me flip them.
Attached Thumbnails
Escambia/Pensacola bay 8/18 good variety-007-600x800-jpg   Escambia/Pensacola bay 8/18 good variety-008-600x800-jpg   Escambia/Pensacola bay 8/18 good variety-009-600x800-jpg   Escambia/Pensacola bay 8/18 good variety-010-jpg   Escambia/Pensacola bay 8/18 good variety-011-jpg  

Last edited by fsu alex; 08-18-2012 at 06:16 PM.
fsu alex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
Snapper

Great report, thanks for the post! That is a nice Jack Crevalle. Haven't caught one in awhile. Boy do they rip some line.
Amarillo Palmira is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Sailfish

Sweet day. What did the jack eat?
chaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Grouper

Alex caught all of the big fish today. He caught the biggest speck, two biggest reds, and the biggest jack. My main job today was taking pictures of Alex and big fish he was bringing to the boat. As long as fish are hitting the deck, it's all good.

The jack hit a big top water bait. Since there was a school of jacks busting mullet I think that they would have hit any lure you got in front of them.
dabutcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Sailfish

man weve been trying in escambia a few times a week for the last few weeks and cant really tune into the fish. catch one here and there. chasing the huge schools of mullet...

also saw a 70 poundish tarpon chowing down on the mullet a few days ago.
JoshH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Mingo

Always enjoys yalls post ... Do u ever have a bad day ? I fish the sound and choctawhatchee bay but dont catch near the fish using mostly the same methods... Anything special to catch the jack? Really been wanting one this year and can't seem to find them.. The one time I thought they were busting bait all I got was some massive sailcats ... Just have to find them or can the be targeted somewhat ..? Really want to experience one
wardicus79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardicus79 View Post
Always enjoys yalls post ... Do u ever have a bad day ? I fish the sound and choctawhatchee bay but dont catch near the fish using mostly the same methods... Anything special to catch the jack? Really been wanting one this year and can't seem to find them.. The one time I thought they were busting bait all I got was some massive sailcats ... Just have to find them or can the be targeted somewhat ..? Really want to experience one
Generally if i can't find fish fast I'll change spots or if there isn't any mullet. You can fish a bait perfectly in a spot but if there aren't any fish then your luck isn't going to be very good. Like today we covered around 20 miles of water. I'm always moving around until I fish.There is a few places in Pensacola bay where the jacks are prevalent. They just cruise around looking for mullet and menhaden. Just look for a big shadow moving around, generally they'll be making a lot of wake and when they find the bait fish they'll start crushing them on the surface. The one I caught today,we motored up and started to leave the flat we were at and saw them pushing mullet and stopped and cast a big spook on them.

Last edited by fsu alex; 08-18-2012 at 10:05 PM.
fsu alex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
Grouper

If you want to target jacks then be on the 3 mile bridge fishing pier at daylight and free line a big menhaden. The menhaden can be alive or dead. I caught many jacks using this method many years ago.

If you are in a boat you can anchor on the Pensacola/Bayou Texar side of 3 mile bridge and free line the menhaden. If the menhaden is alive you may want to use a balloon. Big schools of jacks move through this area almost every morning this time of year.
dabutcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Mingo

dabuther thanks... maybe i can get my boat over that way before they thin out ......
wardicus79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
Trigger

Great report , keep em coming!
ctilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.