Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Escambia - 8/21/2015

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  spot remover 
#1 ·
Slipped away from Archie Glover well before daylight to make the run down to Garcon Point.

Arrived just in time to see the end of the night.

First thing I notice is that mullet are EVERYWHERE, and something hungry is in hot pursuit. Mullet are being knocked out of the water and flying everywhere. I tied on a Rapala Skitterwalk and started blind casting into the madness.

Had a couple of blowups, but no takers.

A pod of dolphin cruised through and shut everything down for about 10 minutes so I rigged up my other spinning setup with a red jig head and a Mirrolure Lil John XL in Golden Bream.

Continued to watch the blowups of mullet, but when the sun was bright enough I could see what was chasing the mullet - Jack Crevalle. Been there, done that. So, I moved on.

Skidded back towards I-10 and hit up some familiar docks.

Used the Skitterwalk to locate the fish, then cast the Lil' John and worked it with a nice slow retrieve while bumping it on the bottom.

Hooked up with a nice red that put up quite a fight - I'm sure the homeowner watching from their porch got a good show. The red was CLEARLY over slot so I revived him boatside and he swam off with a sore jaw.

Repeated the procedure and hooked up with another good solid red a few docks away. I thought I probably had another bull on, but it turned out to be a mid-slot fish. This guy went directly to the live well.

Piddled around for a little while longer, but got bored with the inactivity.

Cruised to a bayou that was close by and found some areas that looked fishy. After a few casts of the Lit' John I had a nice trout on the line.

The trout went totally psycho when I boated it - thrashing around, puking up it's guts, and the remnants of whatever fish it had been gorging on. It was kinda gross. The trout was bleeding heavily too, so it joined the redfish in the livewell and I threw in a 20# bag of ice to chill them out!

Called it a day soon after that - it was just too hot.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.