December cold front kicks off the winter red fishing - Mega-Bite Inshore Charters - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Trigger

Default December cold front kicks off the winter red fishing - Mega-Bite Inshore Charters

Iíve been out a lot the past 6 days and itís been some of the best winter red fishing to date. November was a little warmer than usual and I think thatís why the red fishing was not like it had been in years past. But now that we have had a couple of real good cold fronts, the fishing is on fire.

Here is a short report with a few tips and some pics.

The winter reds are here and they are in full force.
Look for a lot of birds diving or sitting on the surface, and you are bound to find the reds around. One key thing to catching these reds it not to run up on the school fast; it will just make them go down and they might not pop up again for a while. Ease up to the school, make long casts and you should hook up.

If you donít see the fish on top, watch your bottom machine and when you see the schools of reds mixed in with the bait school, drop your jig down below the bait school and work it up slowly jigging, and you should hook up. I like to use a 1.5 Ė 2 oz Spro buck tail jig with a laser tail or some kind of soft plastic attached. 40 lb mono leader and 30 lb braid will work for the main line.

Yesterday (12-2-2011) started out a little windy but in the afternoon it warmed up and was like a mirror on the bay. We hooked 16 reds with two at 40Ē and we had so much fun. Over the past two weeks, weíve boated over 50+ reds --all 30Ē - 42Ē. Itís been awesome; man, I love this time of year.

Hope everyone has fun catching them this winter. Lastly, after you take that trophy pic, take time to revive the fish before you release him. These fish are important to our ecosystem; they are our breeders, so take the time to revive them so your grandkids can catch them someday. These reds can live over 20 years, so who knows, maybe my grandson might catch the same red I did one day.

Tight lines.
Capt. John
user10309 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
Grouper

Wow, awesome fish and report
ycanti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Trigger

Saw you at the ramp yesterday. I was pulling my buddy's Pro Line in your way as I waited for him to get out of the can. Nice haul. We never could find the reds and I think we need to take a couple of trips with the professionals here to get some "good" experience. We had a great time out there regardless On what turned out to be a gorgeous day.
jplvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Trigger

Hey, no problem about where you were parked I figured that's what was going on. Thanks for the kind words, Wintertime reds can sometimes be difficult, because if there not up top busting baits you have to find them by using your bottom machine. If yo're out and you see me on the water feel free to call,, if I'm on the reds ill let you know, its not likes its my honey hole dock for slot reds or my speck hole, wintertime reds move around a bunch and you have to run a lot some days to find them and to keep up with them. They are fast and one minute they are all around you and the next there 150 yards or father the other direction. If you would like to book a winter redfish trip just give me a shout.
Good luck the next time your out, it looks like were going to get some high winds and rain in a few days so I guess It's tackle cleaning time.
user10309 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Snapper

nice catch seems like all of you guys had a blast!!!!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

Good Job. I see your boat all the time, you live right around the corner from me.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
Trigger

Default Bull reds

In my opinion, it is "hit or miss" for the reds as shown on this post. With smooth seas, I have piloted 18 mies round trip in selected spots like Deer Point, EPA etc and have not found any in 4 hours.

Capt. Rivers loves this fishery and works hard to please his clients. If you don't see a frenzied flock of birds, look for some just sitting on top together, kill your motor and wait. If there is a school, these resting birds will move to another location, so just follow and wait. I think you will do better waiting some than running all over the place. Last Thursday, they were in Santa Rosa Sound in front of Portofino condos. If you are good with binoculars, these might help to find those birds ......then be patient and follow Capt. Rivers advice. Easier said than done. After finding a school, I have gone on Channel 16 trying to find others looking for the reds in hopes of helping, but no one ever answered.
Ajerv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Grouper

wow! great work capt!
PorknBeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. John Rivers View Post
Hey, no problem about where you were parked I figured that's what was going on. Thanks for the kind words, Wintertime reds can sometimes be difficult, because if there not up top busting baits you have to find them by using your bottom machine. If yo're out and you see me on the water feel free to call,, if I'm on the reds ill let you know, its not likes its my honey hole dock for slot reds or my speck hole, wintertime reds move around a bunch and you have to run a lot some days to find them and to keep up with them. They are fast and one minute they are all around you and the next there 150 yards or father the other direction. If you would like to book a winter redfish trip just give me a shout.
Good luck the next time your out, it looks like were going to get some high winds and rain in a few days so I guess It's tackle cleaning time.
We're probably not getting out again until after New Years and with Alabama's good fortune, I won't be available until after January 9th now. On Friday we did discuss how beneficial it would be to get some professional instruction as we're soaking up as much as we can these days and throwing darts for the most part when we do go out.

We trolled outside a bit with no luck and I think we saw you and Hotspots take a peek out there as well about the time we headed in. Bottomed fish with some cut bait for snappers and fun before hitting 3 mile for quite a few white trout before another spot and a license check by Florida patrol.

I think we saw some of the action on the bottom machine and on the surface with sitting birds which should have been clues, but at that time, we just didn't know what to do with the information we were given. Thanks for the tips and I'm sure I'll be in touch eventually.

While I have your attention, what's the long term in/nearshore outlook until say the first cobia run? Like i said, I'm thinking I won't be back down until mid-January, and possibly even February considering the Jan 31st end date for deer season in Alabama.
jplvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Sailfish

Some great pics John, & great fishing.

Name:  smiley cool.jpg
Views: 11828
Size:  4.3 KB
SolarFlare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fishing perdido key, inshore fishing guide, pensacola charter boats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.