Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

What would you do?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Desert Eagle 
#1 ·
Here's the scenario. I have a small boat, an old 14' fiberglass river boat, 25 johnson, trolling motor. It moves along pretty well but I haven't used it all that much since I bought it, so I'm not really all that brave with it yet(if ever).

I really want to hang into something, but my time is pretty limited. I work nights, so I may put in somewhere for a few hours before work, like a few hours surrounding sunset, or early one morning on the weekends. I really only have 2-3 hours typically to do something like this.

I've fished off the bridges, piers, and beaches in the area all of my life, but have only been fishing out of a boat a handful of times, so I'm kinda working with a blank slate. I'd prefer to launch in milton or on the east side of pcola, but may try other stuff on a day when I have more time to work with.

So anyway, what would you suggest for a short (hopefully) productive trip? I'm not asking for the coordinates to the motherlode, but just some direction really. Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
Tea Sea is right. Starting up around Jim's and maybe working a bit toward the south will give you a chance to get some hours on the water without so much risk of rough water. It fits your launch criteria. Also, Archie Glover but you have to pay a bit more attention to the wind predictions and summer storms. Good luck.

#5 ·
I putted around archie glover a little bit earlier this year, there was a slight chop out in the bay so I stayed in the bayou. Love the launch there.

I guess I just need to get out there and mess around, I feel like im in one of those situations where I have plenty of time to talk and think about going but not a whole lot of time to actually go.

#6 ·
jetajockey;

that lil river boat of yours is perfect for trout/red fishing. it'll handle a lil chop better than you think, don't get boater stupid... but you may have to push thru the chop to get to the leeward side of your fishing area.

All these guys are right, put in around our local ramps and explore, look for other fisherman, remember where they are and what they are doing.

It really just takes putting in your time and learning our waters.
just get on the water, enjoy the sunrise/moonrise...it'll happen for you.

#7 ·
JJ:

You can launch from Oyster Pile in Bagdad and slip under the I-10 bridge in 5-mins in that boat. This past Monday, there were tons of schooling bait fish from just south of the I-10 bridge to Bay Point which is less than a mile from the bridge. All you gotta do is GO! Especially, after you get off work in the MORNINGS!!! But don't get your hopes up too high until we have some cool down - maybe middle of September...

#8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys, barefoot I'm sure we'll run into each other at some point since we are in the same relative area.

Desert Eagle- Thanks for the heads up. I've launched there and ventured out to the bridge but not much further. Still getting comfortable with the controls and quirks of the boat so it seems like I spend more time focusing on that than actually fishing.

I think getting off work in the mornings is what's giving me the itch to get out there, I get off at 0500 so I have enough time to put in somewhere and get moving before daybreak. I'm also off most weekends so I have a little bit of time but between my real job and my side business (selling aquatic plants) my time is limited.

I like the Oyster pile launch a lot, so thanks for the idea I may make a trip of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.