topwater:replacing treble hooks with circle's - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Mingo

Default topwater:replacing treble hooks with circle's

I was curious if anyone out there likes to change out treble hooks to circle hooks or j-hooks with their top water plugs.

i really enjoying using plugs for reds and trout but i do a lot of kayak fishing, trebles have a great hook up % but they can be hard to deal with especially form the yak...i am thinking about switching my favorite plugs over to circle hooks or j-hooks and seeing how that works out...

just looking for some opinions on J-hooks vs Circle hooks for plugs...thanks guys!!
FishHard2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

I haven't tried a circle hook on a topwater plug but I have tried them on jigs. The results are less than flattering. If you are moving the lure fast you will have a horendous hookup ratio, because it would be just like trying to set the hook with a circle hook. Doesn't work. On a slow moving jig we had to fix the cirle hook to kinda keep it in place so the hook would set in the corner of the mouth. A free swinging circle hook on split ring was terrible. Hope this info helps.
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #3
Snapper

horrible idea. Circle hooks are made so that when i fish EATS a bait and then swims away it will pull the the from of the mouth and will hook its self. Thats why there is no need to set the hook and if you try to set the hook it will pull right out of the fishs mouth.

Treble hooks are great for when i fish HITS a bait which is the most common case. You have a lot better of a chance of getting one of those barbs in.

The best thing to do in this case if it really bothers you is to take off one or 2 of the trebles(depending on what you are using) and either not replace at all or replace with a j-hook.

Good Luck out there!
Whitie9688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Mingo

Thanks for your replies fellas...yeah I figured circle hooks were not a good option for that reason, I might try a j-hook on there, or maybe just try flattening the barbs down for a easier a release..
thanks for the input...appreciated!
FishHard2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
White Marlin

J-Hooks have long been swapped to lures intended for large off shore species. They have been used from the factory on many big plugs.

But the thing to remember is that the size of the treble hook would be huge and this would be excessive risk. For traditional smallish inshore lures, I didn't get any benefit and lots of missed strikes so I gave up on it and just respect the trebles...
Brent
Old 04-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Sailfish

I have never tried j hooks but know people do it all the time. I have tried removing the front treble and leaving the back one as is. I get good results, and it doesnt hinder the action on most baits.
timeflies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
White Marlin

I also take front hook off top waters quite often like timeflies said.

Brent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.