Tips to Prevent Wind Knots - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #1
Nick's Guide Service
Sailfish

Default Tips to Prevent Wind Knots

Guys,

Wind knots are a common topic on every fishing forum in the world and the majority of anglers blame the braid they are using.

However, it has a lot more to do with casting then the manufacture of the braid.

There are several mistakes that cause wind knots. Failure to manually close the bail is a huge issue and I see this mistake made over and over again.

The bail should be tripped as the lure touches the water. "Feathering" your fishing line as the lure flies through the air ensures you stop the line and close the bail in one smooth action.

The video shows a quick demonstration and covers the topic in detail.

Please subscribe to the YouTube channel!???

I'm open to all feedback, good or bad! Let me know your thoughts!!!

NLytle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
Mingo

Good vid Nick,
I'm right handed and never take my right hand off the rod when casting, or ever. Use my left hand to to feather line on drop and close bail. Interesting to see you cast with left hand and and switch. Whatever works, enjoyed it and you hit the nail on the head with name brand braid. Operator error is the my cause for failure.
NLytle likes this.
Brads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2017, 11:58 PM   #3
Nick's Guide Service
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads View Post
Good vid Nick,
I'm right handed and never take my right hand off the rod when casting, or ever. Use my left hand to to feather line on drop and close bail. Interesting to see you cast with left hand and and switch. Whatever works, enjoyed it and you hit the nail on the head with name brand braid. Operator error is the my cause for failure.

I spend a lot more time with a bait caster in my hand then a spinning reel. I have always switched hands with the spinning rod because if accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThaFish likes this.

Call and book your trip today!

(850)264-3957

Nicks-Guide-Service.com

www.facebook.com/NicksGuideService

www.youtube.com/channel/UCdRD_2ay86bbN4MfTTUiciA

Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 AM   #4
Mingo

Figured that was the reason, bass fishing will do that to you.
NLytle likes this.
Brads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2017, 02:12 AM   #5
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLytle View Post
I spend a lot more time with a bait caster in my hand then a spinning reel. I have always switched hands with the spinning rod because if accuracy.

Ditto. Thought I was the only one.
NLytle likes this.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

Well spoken and good explanation of the cause...Thanks
I've been pitching a lure from my dock to land behind my neighbor's boat and whenever the wind is blowing towards his boat, my line between the rod tip and the lure will arc towards his boat and foul on his swim platform or in some of the rigging if i get too close.
I have learned to crank and pull the rod tip downward and into the wind to pull the arc out of the line as soon as the lure hits the water to keep from having to walk around to his boat to retrieve the lure. The timing of the movement of the rod tip keeps the line tight as soon as it starts to build on the spool.
I am more likely to wind knot the line when there is little to no wind and never really saw the reason. sometimes I would notice that some of the line had wound onto the skirt of the spool without me noticing until it was too late and causing a problem.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the description of loosely wound line from a previous retrieve being pulled off of the spool as the tight line leaves the spool.... I need to modify my closing of the bail and making sure the line is loaded early on...... Thanks again for the tip...
NLytle likes this.
Snagged Line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2017, 07:21 AM   #7
Nick's Guide Service
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagged Line View Post
Well spoken and good explanation of the cause...Thanks

I've been pitching a lure from my dock to land behind my neighbor's boat and whenever the wind is blowing towards his boat, my line between the rod tip and the lure will arc towards his boat and foul on his swim platform or in some of the rigging if i get too close.

I have learned to crank and pull the rod tip downward and into the wind to pull the arc out of the line as soon as the lure hits the water to keep from having to walk around to his boat to retrieve the lure. The timing of the movement of the rod tip keeps the line tight as soon as it starts to build on the spool.

I am more likely to wind knot the line when there is little to no wind and never really saw the reason. sometimes I would notice that some of the line had wound onto the skirt of the spool without me noticing until it was too late and causing a problem.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the description of loosely wound line from a previous retrieve being pulled off of the spool as the tight line leaves the spool.... I need to modify my closing of the bail and making sure the line is loaded early on...... Thanks again for the tip...

Thanks for the kind words. The little things make all of the difference!

Call and book your trip today!

(850)264-3957

Nicks-Guide-Service.com

www.facebook.com/NicksGuideService

www.youtube.com/channel/UCdRD_2ay86bbN4MfTTUiciA
Old 01-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLytle View Post
Thanks for the kind words. The little things make all of the difference!

Another thing I find myself doing because it is hard to always tell if the 10 pound braid is where I think it is, I will dip the tip of the rod in the water and put tension on the line and then quickly pull the rod tip skyward and watch the pattern the line makes on the water hopefully in the direction of my lure and not my neighbors boat if I am lucky… LOL

NLytle and JQbigrig like this.
Snagged Line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Side casting rather than overhead casting helps when fishing bridges and docks from a boat.

Close the bail manually and tugs an inch or two of line when you do so. This prevents and removes line twist. Closing the bail by reeling in adds twists to the line and causes foul ups, especially on braid.

My biggest issue is overhead casting where my line wraps around the tip, so I switched to side casting for accuracy and less hassle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
NLytle likes this.
Cynoscion27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
White Marlin

Good tip and well done on the video.

A trick my Dad taught me - if you notice a loose loop covered in tightly wound line on your spool, DO NOT try to cast out to clear the loop. Loosen the drag, and without opening the bail, pull the line off manually until the loop is clear and reload the line under tension for a smoothly wound spool.
Jeffbro999 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.