Rocky Bayou Shark - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Rocky Bayou Shark

I was in the back of Rocky trout fishing and saw a 6ft shark swim under my boat in 5 ft of water. I have seen alot of people wading back there this spring. I think this one would have give someone a little heart failure.
Crestliner VT19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
none.
Trigger

Yes it would! Thats crazy, ughh
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Grouper

perhaps a bull, they are spawning this time of year in freash/salt water estuaries.

TheRoguePirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Bull Shark. Good for ruining the action around a dock light.

We catch them in Terry's Cove, Bayou St John, Cotton Bayou and the ICW pretty often. Almost all of the sharks we catch are between 5-6ft long with some smaller and some much bigger.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
Sailfish

Oh yeah sounds like a bull! I've been buzzed by 6-7 footers in knee deep water back before I got my kayaks and used to wade a lot. I don't keep fish on a stringer. EVER!

Try and catch him next time!
Alex
Yaksquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Default Rocky Bayou Shark Sighting April 2012

While sitting on my kayak just outside of where Rocky Creek enters Rocky Bayou, I observed the fin of a shark pass in front of me. Because there was a second dorsal fin of good size, I think this indicates I was seeing a sand tiger shark. My two friends and I followed the shark for approximately ten minutes as it cruised across the eastern end of the bayou.
Tom Gray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gray View Post
While sitting on my kayak just outside of where Rocky Creek enters Rocky Bayou, I observed the fin of a shark pass in front of me. Because there was a second dorsal fin of good size, I think this indicates I was seeing a sand tiger shark. My two friends and I followed the shark for approximately ten minutes as it cruised across the eastern end of the bayou.
Since it was in such shallow water I think a lemon shark would be a good guess! Given your description of the second dorsal
evan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Flats Fisher
Trigger

I caught a 4' black tip about 100 yards from creek mouth last year. Was neting some of the menhaden and decided to see what was eating on them and was very suprised when I pulled him up!Last Friday when fishing around eglin I seen a 5-6' shark cruising just off the flats but he wouldn't take the bait.
Aqua Uno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Was wade fishing at White Point (toward N side of Mid-Bay Bridge) before sunset today and saw a good size shark. Was about 30 yards from shore in waist deep water and saw a shark moving really slow between 5-10ft. away from me. The shark was probably 4-5ft. long I'm guessing. I won't lie, it actually scared me. I slowly started shuffling back to the shore, and didn't venture too far out for the rest of the afternoon. Also stepped on a ray for the first time also, didn't see it as it was getting dark and didn't expect a big one to be within a few feet of the shore.

So my question is what do most of you guys do if you're out wading and see a shark nearby? Even rays swimming up by my feet creep me out sometimes but I know they're mostly harmless. Seeing the shark on the other hand put a little fear in me for a few seconds. Of course who knows how many times sharks have been by me and I haven't noticed them. So am I best to just stand still and hope it swims away? will walking back or kicking up sand sometimes attract the shark?
rjl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Snapper

I was out there wade fishing from 6-8pm, around 100ft from shore and only saw a few dolphins... must have been not too long before I got there or you were around the bend on the western side, I was southern bridge side and didn't see any other waders.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.