Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Reddish trolling lure recommendations

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  deronlee 
#1 ·
Weather permithing I was hoping to get out on the boat and try trolling for redfish on Sunday. I have heard the Stretch 25 works and was going to pick up a couple tomorrow
Does anone have experience with this lure and any tips to to work the troll for reds? The only trolling i have done was using umbrella rigs for strippers on the Chesapeake. Also any other lure recommendations would be much appreciated as well. Thanks much

#3 ·
Stretch 25s, X Rap 30s and other deep rivers work well locating them if they're not up top. Once you find them schooled up, throw soft plastics or bucktail jigs at them on lighter tackle.

#5 ·
I haven't caught many Redfish on the Stretch 25 but--

I have caught many TONS of Grouper on it. Several species of Sharks, Tarpon, Kingfish, Wahoo, Bonitas, Kingfish, BF Tuna, YF Tuna and even one Flounder.

I've used the entire Stretch Series from the small Freshwater series, the shallow running Stretch 8 up to the Giagantus Stretch 50. If everybody in Florida who fishes water less than 30' deep would fish them, we could wipe out the entire inshore Grouper population in one season.

If you have a problem with one popping out of the water often, contact me and I'll show you how to tune it to where it runs perfectly straight. Adjust and treasure ones that consistently pull well out to Port and Stbd. Mark them and pull them from their respective sides. They may not get down quite as deep but they give you a lot of spread so you can cover more water and/or fish more rods without tangling.

In clear water, use natural colors. In murky water like we have down here, Pink, Orange over Chartreuse, and red head/pearl rule.

If you don't want to catch Kingfish, remove the tail hooks and replace it with something about the same size. I generally use a large snap swivel for convenience. I prefer not to catch Kingfish most days.

BTW, Hot pink is fantastic for Tarpon and Wahoo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.