how to retrieve a doa shrimp - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default how to retrieve a doa shrimp

hey guys today was my first time using plastic baits. I went with a brown doa shrimp(the one that comes with the hook already in it). It didn't go to well, I only caught one trout. I don't think that I am retrieving the bait right. I tried slow reeling with a twitch every now and then. I also tried fishing the shrimp about 15" under a weighted cork just how I would with a live shrimp, twitching every so often. My cork method produced the one fish that I did catch. How should I be fishing this bait?

I also tried a redfish magic spinnerbait with no luck. How should I be retrieving this bait?

By the way I wade fish the grass flats in Panama City if that makes a difference in how to fish the bait..

Thanks for any info guys.
JBrady555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Sailfish

Good question! I found a BUNCH of DOA shrimp on clearance for $0.33 each. I bought ALL of them and have caught nothing on any of them. Like you, I tried the slow retrieve/twitch, the sink/twitch, and under a cork. Nothing. I've used about half of them so much that they became waterlogged and turned milky. Still no fish... Same problem with Gulp. I'm starting to think DOA shrimp and Gulp are something they tell non-locals to use, so they can snicker about it all day after you leave...

Refish magic on the other hand works WELL for me. You can sight fish for reds with it. Just get it near em and reel! BOOM!!! Blind fishing, you can also run it parellel to reeds. Or find dropoffs and channels where the reds cruise. Pull it from shallow over the drop and slow retrieve an little to let it sink into the deeper water a little. Sometimes they like it flopping aout of the water a little on a fast retrieve. You just have to play with it a little.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Mingo

Last fall I used DOA shrimp about three feet below a poping cork. Caught many specks and reds doing this. The cork was one I really like made in Mobile by Gates its called no slack tackle.com

I ordered some of his corks and they are tops also ordered a hook callled bobcat named after bobby A. fishing guide.

This work well with Gulp Three inch shrimp.

I pretty much use gulp three inch srhimp and also a white two inch gulp shrimp on a small jig hook light weithed. Last year I trolled in Fish River with a two inch on the right and a three inch on the left on the bottom drifiting with the wind and they hit the two inch all the time that afternoon. Go figure that one out.

Normally I just hop or fluke the three inch off the bottom slowly and they hit it. Hope this helps.
Kayakbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Sailfish

Wirelessly posted

Actually both lures doa shrimp and gulp work great. I use both on almost all of my charters. In panama city you need to throw a clear gold glitter doa. The root beer colored shrimp is a little to dark for those clear waters. As far as working the lure I like working the lure extremely slow. Let it just settle on top of the grass and twitch it up kinda hard then let it just flutter back down. The lure will do all the work. If the wind is blowing over 10mph I would not use that lure go to a jig head and a doa shad tail or gulp. Good luck I hope this helps. Caution using gulp this time of year will get expensive due to all the pinfish! Just FYI.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

thanks for the great info guys
Old 06-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Jaded Old Phart
Sailfish

If there's trout around they'll eat it the way you're using it.
No trout around, no bites.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Seems like I've had my best luck bumping the DOA shrimp off the bottom/grass using a popping cork. I usually use the clear DOA with gold glitter. What are some of the other preferred colors? Somebody gave me a milky/clear/tan combo with a bright orange tail and I haven't tried it yet,
matlatcha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Blue man fishing Inc.
Sailfish

I usually tie a green with silver glitter DOA on with a 1/4 split shot about 20 inches up the line and I pull the line up real slow and reel in the slack on the way down then let it sit for a bit then pull up real slow and reel in the slack and repeat
Tobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

thanks guys, lots of good info here
Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Default DOA Shrimp Adjustment

I was once shown to cut the Artifical legs off and take something sharp and split the joints on the tail. I have found that it works better for me.
sandyshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.