Flounder question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Flounder question

Is anyone willing to give me a few pointers to help me Target flounder in the Bon Secour area? I've caught a few fishing for reds and accidentally in the cast net. Not looking for anyone's spots, just knowledge on how to find them. Thanks
MaxP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
King of Mobile
Grouper

look for sand bars and structure rocks,pilings, ect... live bait is key!! bull minnows, tiger minnows, finger mullet, pogies, menhaden, ly's, etc.. small kahle hook short mono leader small egg sinker and you are set!!!
TheFlounderPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Mingo

If you don't want to use live bait, the 5" Gulp Camo Jerk Shad works great. Just keep bouncing it off the bottom.
castnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Mingo

Thanks guys, I will keep at it this weekend.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Mingo

Luv me some flounder fishing..this works ANYWHERE flatties live... hope this helps!http://capt-tim.blogspot.com/2011/05...gia-coast.html
St Simons Island, Georgia
jackstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
Luv me some flounder fishing..this works ANYWHERE flatties live... hope this helps!http://capt-tim.blogspot.com/2011/05...gia-coast.html
That's a great blog. I just book marked it! Maybe I can find myself in South Georgia soon and go fishing with ya.
Dragsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
Snapper

i love flounder but suck at catching them too. good luck
below me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #8
Grouper

The blog Cpt. Tim wrote basically covers it all! Only thing I would put in it is to look for places with moving water and flow. Keep up with the tides. I prefer to fish an outgoing tide but you can catch plenty of flounder on either or. Depending on what kind of rod and reel you are using you can use a variety of tackle for flounder.

Spinning rod/reel- I would suggest 8-12lb test line with 15lb mono or flourocarbon leader tide directly to your line. In shallow calm waters use 1/4oz or 3/8oz jig head, in deeper water use 1/2-5/8oz jig heads, and in the surf use 3/4 -1oz jig heads. I would suggest a jig head that points head down to the bottom such as a football or sparkie head. Use a plastic grub or gulp bait that has action to it as the body of your jig. I prefer a curly tail style bait or a paddle tail over anything else. In terms of colors I would suggest buying a pack each of white, chart., and rootbeer. These colors work for just about any color water. If you can not afford to use gulp, I suggest either catching some small mullet, bull minnows, or croakers to tip your baits with. This is if you can throw a cast net. If you cannot throw a cast net buy some shrimp from a local seafood market and catch a bunch of croakers or white trout to tip your jigs with. This added scent will definatly increase your catch.

Casting rod/reel - Basically same as spinning just a little bit bigger on your jig head size. And if you are spooled up with 12-15lb mono line I wouldn't worry about using a leader.

Pm if you got any questions about it. I sell jig heads and lead products on the side so I can hook you up with all the jig heads you need.

Hope this helps, Brian Arnold
snakeman14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #9
Mingo

Caught two flounder on an outgoing tide at the Alabama Point jetties yesterday. Also caught a 12-13 inch endangered red snapper and a bunch of short mangroves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.