Fishing Ono Island docks - first post. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Fishing Ono Island docks - first post.

so my sister bought a place on Ono Island and I took my kayak out the first time and caught a 16" trout and a 25" red.

Planning on coming back down this weekend for some more fishing. Finally got a light and planning on hitting the southside of the island at night for some dock fishing.

I use gulp shrimp. Do I need to do it on bottom or a popping cork for the night time fishing? What can I expect to catch?

If anybody lives down here that goes kayak fishing a lot, I would love to get some fishing buddies as I will try to come down quite often now that I got a free place to stay.
ctgalloway21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Snapper

Send a message via Yahoo to Magic Mike

There's a section a little further down the home page for kayak fishing... You might get a better response on kayak fishing buddies on one of those threads.

My advice? I grew up on Perdido Key near the Oyster Bar... my tried and true method was always live shrimp on the edge of the grass flats or under dock lights. No weight, just freeline. Once you get a couple from one spot, move on to the next light. You can come back to that spot after an hour or so, but the fish spook after the first or second catch.
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Make it a Grady Day.
Sailfish

Welcome to the forum!

Either technique will work, just a matter of where the fish are...the light will definitely pique their interest.

Looking forward to your next post.
DAWGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
White Marlin

Hey PM me when you are fishing the south side. We live over that way. I'll bring you a cold drink down.

Live shrimp are indeed the preferred bait. If I am targeting redfish I usually pinch a splitshot a foot above the hook to get it to the bottom. For trout free-lining works best. If you want to use artificial stuff a small suspending lure with flash works well. Sometimes you get a reaction strike ripping them through the light.
hjorgan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Trigger

hjorgan, I don't have any internet access when I am down on the island. Do you kayak fish? We also will have a boat Saturday and Sunday.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
White Marlin

I mainly fish out of a boat but have a kayak.
I'll pm you my cell
hjorgan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
Grouper

I posted on the other thread but I live on the Key and have a PA that I fish from. Don't have an Al license as they expire in August and I rarely fish that side of the ICW. I hit up the Florida side of River rd. last Sunday early with little action. I am own to fish both days but would need to be early as I have my daughters this weekend and I try to get my fishing out of the way before thy wake up at noon
Bigkidneys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Grouper

Oh, and my buddies have much luck free lining live shrimp under the dock lights around there. I use both a popping cork and free line sometimes with a jig head and it's been hit or miss for me.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Trigger

hey big kidneys, if you stay close to Ono, aren't you in Alabama waters?

also, what is a PA? I would like to go out possibly Saturday morning if you are down.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
Grouper

There is literally an imaginary line between the waste islands that are between the west end of Ono and Perdido Key. Not really that worried if I drift across them as I have only been catch and releasing but yeah, there is a line that seperates Al and Fl that starts after the 2nd island so I hug the Florida side along the docks that run along River Rd. It's a Hobie Pro Angler. Saturday morning would be perfect for me. Actually don't get my girls till Saturday evening so can fish as long as I want Friday night and Saturday and also on Sunday morning. Was bitten with the fishing bug about a month ago so have been fishing every day literally since then!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.