destin surf fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Mingo

Default destin surf fishing

I am going to Destin Florida in september and plan on surf fishing while im down there. I need to know what kind of bait and what kind of fish are common. I would love to catch a small shark to show my son. im going to be about 1/2 mile from the pier on ft walton beach. If anyone can give me some advice that would be great. I do alot of catfishing here in Indiana so i have backround in freshwater just not saltwater so advice on poles and tackle would be great to thank you.
mcahill4713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default fishing

Fishing of the pier, you can use you're catfish gear. Just be sure to rinse it off every day. You need 300-500 yards of 20lb + line. Just do a search for shark leaders and you'll find plenty info. Fishing off the beach I use 4000 class reels and 20lb braid. I live in Arkansas and only fish there early summer, so I cant help you much, but you can google fishing reports for September and probably get all the info you need.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
Mingo

Thanks for the info. i plan on surf fishing while im down there. i dont know what kind of bait to use or bring. i was thinking about buying some of those berkley gulp alive baits and trying the minnows and the sand flea versions they make. i have a 8ft cat rod with 30 pound line i figured that was good enough i was going to take my bass rod there also to see what i can catch of that also.. I read that i have to have a license to fish there but i was also told that off of the beach you dont need a license. Do you know the answer to that question or any of these.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
White Marlin

I would get most of the bait down there at the local shops. For the most part live or "fresh dead shrimp" will catch stuff, cigar minnows and menhaden are good for bigger fish. But that's when I'm down there. The local guys will know what you need when you get there. I did very well with the gulp alive shrimp and the mullets. The catfish rod will be good for anything out there even good size sharks, the bass rig will be good for most everything else. I would put 20+lb braid on it though and be diligent about rinsing it off every day. I didn't try the Berkeley sand fleas on the advice of some of the locals on here. Live sand fleas will catch lots of fish though. You need to study how to read the surf and watch some YouTube videos on it. It's pretty simple once you've seen it a few times.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Mingo

Thanks for the advice. Do you know what the price range may be on live shrimp down there for bait? i also heard that silver spoons are good lures for down there on the surf, any luck ever using them.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
White Marlin

I've got a buddy who swears by the Kastmaster 1/4 oz and up. spoons with or without tails, but he prefers the tail.

He buys them in bulk from somewhere for $2 each without hooks.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Mingo

thanks ill look online or go to bass pro by where i live and see if they have them. do you know what there good for catching in florida
Old 04-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Snapper

Send a message via Yahoo to Magic Mike

Sand flea's are the most productive bait for surf fishing in my opinion. You can dig for them at shore breaks (where waves crash on shore). You can also do damage with fresh dead shrimp with half the shell peeled off. September is usually the start of the Pomp fall run (or sometime around there depending on the year's weather patterns). Youtube a few videos on making a double drop rig... use some sort of pyramid weight at the bottom (just enough to hold in the surf). Longer poles tend to do better because it keeps your line over the breakers. You'll need sand spikes or some sort of rod holder (patience is a key to surf fishing). Some people use pomp jigs, but I prefer bait. They (pomps) are visual hunters so make sure you use fluorocarbon leaders. Try just before the sandbars, just past the sandbars, or in any trouth or wash-out. Low tide recon will help... you can see the depressions in the shore better. Hope this helps. Good luck
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcahill4713 View Post
thanks ill look online or go to bass pro by where i live and see if they have them. do you know what there good for catching in florida
I've heard trout, spanish and even small sharks.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Mingo

i was going to try some sand fleas but everywhere i have looked on youtube you have to have the special scoop to dig them up. i figured if i have to get a sand flea scoop i can go to a bait shop and buy one i just dont know the price. Is live shrimp expensive down there or would frozen shrimp from walmart be ok. i know some of these questions may be simple to you guys but your answers are really helping me.. what i use for catfishing here in the Ohio river is very simple compared to the baits you guys use down there.. The biggest fish i have ever caught was a 86lb flat head. But the thought of waiding into the ocean and casting and catching small sharks and pampano and 3 to 5lb red fish seems amazing. One more question i have always thought that striped bass were only freshwater. we have them here were i live is there place in the gulf because of migration or what?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.