choctawhatchee bay - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default choctawhatchee bay

Im in the Air Force and new to the area. I grew up freshwater fishing and am pretty new to this saltwater deal. I want to catch redfish and trout but I've been out a lot over the last month with 0 redfish and 1 trout. I can catch the heck out of some ladyfish though but thats not what i want. Can anyone tell me where to go and what bait to use to catch some redfish? Also, I have a boat and if you know where they are i would love to take ya with me and maybe you could show me the ropes. Thanks in advance for any input.
dwalk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalk View Post
Im in the Air Force and new to the area. I grew up freshwater fishing and am pretty new to this saltwater deal. I want to catch redfish and trout but I've been out a lot over the last month with 0 redfish and 1 trout. I can catch the heck out of some ladyfish though but thats not what i want. Can anyone tell me where to go and what bait to use to catch some redfish? Also, I have a boat and if you know where they are i would love to take ya with me and maybe you could show me the ropes. Thanks in advance for any input.
PM headed your way.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Snapper

If you know where the boy scout camp near the bx is, wade the grass there. Havent fished there in a few years, however, i used to catch my limit of both fairly easy using popping cork with either shrimp or bait fish caught in a cast net. There are ALWAYS tons of mullet there, if you find them, the reds are close. Dont be afraid to walk a little.. i was always on the move and usually did better when it was choppy.
King Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure where the boy scout camp is but I do know where the bx is located. I'll give it another shot this weekend.
dwalk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
Trigger

Boy scout camp, go down past the fam camp to the picnic area. You can do it by boat also, fish the 3-5' water for the trout early then move to 5-7 as the sun gets a little over the trees. Hit the mullet schools in less than 4' early in the morn for the reds. For me if I get past 7-8' deep then I start getting into the skips and blues.
Do some exploring around the north end of the mid-bay bridge east and west side there will be some big schools of trout but they will have a lot of shorts mixed in. Another area to work the mullet schools early for the reds.
Found some nice 20"# trout over at 4mile Point but they are singles so you have to work for them.

Last edited by PennFish; 07-18-2012 at 09:05 PM.
PennFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Grouper

The road to the Fam Camp is the one that just got repaved.

22' Wellcraft CC
Tarpon 160 Kayak
PCfisher66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Trigger

Took my own advice this morning worked the mullet schools in 4' and less, 6 trout up to 21" add 8 redfish most shorts 15-16". Not bad for 2 hours.
PennFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I'll be wading this area in about two weeks for the first time. I have a couple spots picked out that I'm going to try. This is going to be a stupid question...but what and where is the "bx"? Also, what are some roads close to the boy scout camp just so I know the general area I'm driving to?

Thanks in advance.
DarthWader50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthWader50 View Post
I'll be wading this area in about two weeks for the first time. I have a couple spots picked out that I'm going to try. This is going to be a stupid question...but what and where is the "bx"? Also, what are some roads close to the boy scout camp just so I know the general area I'm driving to?

Thanks in advance.
base exchange - located on eglin afb. i assume if you're asking what the bx is you're not military? if you're not, you're not getting on the afb to access this area unless you're with someone who is military.
K-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Bill View Post
base exchange - located on eglin afb. i assume if you're asking what the bx is you're not military? if you're not, you're not getting on the afb to access this area unless you're with someone who is military.
I was afraid of that... and no I'm not military. I guess I'll just have to stick with the other places I planned on. Hoping that the south end of the mid bay bridge will produce some fish. Any experience there?
DarthWader50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.