Black snapper or mangrove? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Mingo

Default Black snapper or mangrove?

Found a spot that is very reliable at producing what I think to be black snappers. I have grown up in the panhandle my entire life and never heard a local speak of catching "mangroves" only "black" snappers. Have only seen and heard fisherman refer to them as mangroves on Fl. fishing shows down in central and southern Fl. for the most part. I understand there is a difference (black: no size limit 10 per person) and (mangroves or grey 10 inches minimum to keep) so how bout it? Are there in fact mangroves in the area bc the ones I catch are black with a little tint of red? Sorry for no pics got a new phone and couldnt transfer pics to the new phone.
CountryFolksCanSurvive22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Trigger

Black snapper=Mangrove snapper
Reel Wins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #3
Trigger

The ones you are catching around here are mangroves/grey snapper. Locals call them black snapper, but they are not the "actual" black snapper.
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
Mingo

Thanks! Sounds like listening to the locals can get you a big fat ticket since there isn't a size limit on blacks lol I wasn't sure bc the ones I've caught appeared to be a lot darker then the lighter grey colored ones you see on fishing shows that run up to 3 or 4 pounds.
CountryFolksCanSurvive22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Gray snapper (Lutjanus griseus) is the common name with black snapper being more common in the northern gulf and mangrove, or even mango, being common in central and south florida. True black snapper are a deep water species more common in the carribean and central atlantic.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #6
Grouper

to be honest there is a true black snapper never seen one but what we call black snapper are 2 seperate fish 1 is the mangrove snapper they tend to live in bays out twords any pass with jetties and will also pile up on beach pier pilons off and on along with deep water bay bridges some way inland with this said they will weigh usualy a lb to 4 some do get bigger but the larger ones are tough as they are smart see well and tend to turn off their bite after a few smaler fish go away as far as their appearance they are grey with a amber line over the back stretching into a dark line across their eyes
species 2 is a true cubera snapper also refered to a black snapper in the panhandle it is a fish that behaves almost exactly the same as the traditional mangrove but lives in waters from 6o to 120 ft typicaly in nearshore gulf waters they are the ones u can chum up on a good private natural bottom spot they behave the same as the mangroves realy weary have the same body shape as the mangrove along with the teeth yet they tend to have a more bronze look almost a cross from a bay redfish and the true mangrove ive caugh the cuberas we call blacks up twords 20 lbs out of destin and down south they get up twords 60 lbs and bigger verry few people realise this but ask cptains or long tearm fishermen this is the truth about our so called black snapper and who cares what u call it in the big bend the mangroves are called mangos not mingos over there our mingos are b liners bliners in reality those are vermilion snapper in here there or in china names change from region to region but for better or worst thats the panhandle black snapper

Last edited by weedline; 08-25-2011 at 12:56 AM.
weedline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
Still haven't caught a
Sailfish

i call them all mangs or mangys. they are all the same, black, mangrove, gray
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #8
Grouper

yes they are the inshore variety but those in 60 to 120 feet with more of a bronze color are cuberas if u dont know that u need a charter boat and to fish more come on they look no more like a true mangrove than a f ing juvinal king lookins like a spanish but hey u may be the guy killing a 16 in king braging about your big spanish
Old 08-25-2011, 02:56 AM   #9
Grouper

and no there is a true black snapper a true grey snapper and do some research none are what we call blacks we call black snapper both mangroves and cuberas and they are 2 different fish get a clue
Old 08-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
Grouper

its like we call almaco jacks rock salmon or tusk eels codfish and o i foregot that bluerunner u try to fish with wait we call him a hardtaly and da m n even a cigar minow just a rounded scad so next time i catch a 19" amber jack can i do like u and call it a lesser aj or banded rudder fish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.