Advice on starter trolling combo - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2017, 01:14 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Advice on starter trolling combo

New to the area and 100% of my saltwater experience involves a spinning reel. Am looking for a basic combo for trolling/jigging/deep drop/maybe pier rod. Looking to stay around $120 total. Debating between Penn 113h2/slammer or a Penn Warfare 30 combo. Any suggestions between those two or other recommendations? Thanks in advance.
jrh2581 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 01:37 AM   #2
Ruby Red Lip

The Senator reels have been around for a long time. They are heavy. Not glamorous, but proven and sturdy. Trolling - Sure..you could. Bottom fishing in deeper water - sure. You don't want to jig with this bad boy.

The Warfare is relatively new. Substantially lighter. It's also a levelwind which is nice, but just something else on the reel that can potentially fail. I've never used one. I personally like for a series to be in production for a while before I pick one up.

You listed 3 or 4 very different styles of fishing. I'd think about what you plan to use it for most of the time and then choose accordingly.
Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
Sailfish

I bought a Penn Pursuit last year at academy b/c someone left my spinfisher at home. Seemed to work fairly well and I was pleased with it. Enough so that I went back and bought another as my "throw around" rods. I don't worry much if they would get damaged for the price. If you're looking for a higher end, check out the Penn Spinfisher.
http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-comb...-penn-pursuit/
1902 Century Bay
14 Rogue Skiff
14 Big Jon Duck Boat
17 Pierre Marquette canoe
11 Ocean Kayak
H2OMARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
The Senator reels have been around for a long time. They are heavy. Not glamorous, but proven and sturdy. Trolling - Sure..you could. Bottom fishing in deeper water - sure. You don't want to jig with this bad boy.

The Warfare is relatively new. Substantially lighter. It's also a levelwind which is nice, but just something else on the reel that can potentially fail. I've never used one. I personally like for a series to be in production for a while before I pick one up.

You listed 3 or 4 very different styles of fishing. I'd think about what you plan to use it for most of the time and then choose accordingly.
Good advice. Inshore trolling, some pier use (less likely), and some land based shark fishing (I know I should have a 12/0-16/0 reel with piano wire - - but I won't be too serious - a 6 fter would make me happy). I guess occasional jigging with my existing spinning combos is ok. Decent castability would be nice but probably not necessary. Assuming that trolling is the element that spinning reels are least suited to, I guess that should be my main concern.
Thanks again for the advice!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OMARK View Post
I bought a Penn Pursuit last year at academy b/c someone left my spinfisher at home. Seemed to work fairly well and I was pleased with it. Enough so that I went back and bought another as my "throw around" rods. I don't worry much if they would get damaged for the price. If you're looking for a higher end, check out the Penn Spinfisher.
http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-comb...-penn-pursuit/
Thanks, and those are good recommendations, but I already have more spinning combos than I know what to do with. Looking to break into the reel on top of the rod world.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #6
Sailfish

Gotcha! I have more penn 113s and 114s than I have sense and as long as you do a rinse when finished, you'll be pleased with them for trolling or bottom fishing.
1902 Century Bay
14 Rogue Skiff
14 Big Jon Duck Boat
17 Pierre Marquette canoe
11 Ocean Kayak
H2OMARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 03:53 PM   #7
White Marlin

can't go wrong with a penn 4/0 but if a tld 20 or 25 is in your budget I would look at those
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I hear great things about the TLDs on here - just have to weigh buying 1 TLD combo or 2 of the Penns - seems like around $250-275 either way.

Quick newbie question - on the TLDs, you prefer Star Drag or Lever Drag? What is the difference from a functionality standpoint?

Whichever way I go, would you spool with 30lb mono or 50lb braid or something else? Saw some fluoro/braid hybrid today that seemed reasonable.

Thanks again! This forum is such a great resource. 👍

Old 02-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
White Marlin

I prefer lever drags alot smoother and I feel easier to operate but some may disagree and I would spool with 30 pound mono personally
cody&ryand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.