21 foot Chris Craft CC Questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Boating and Fishing Tricks and Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default 21 foot Chris Craft CC Questions

I'm looking at buying my first boat and found a 21 foot center console Chris Craft for sale in my price range with a 200 evinrude 2 stroke. I know it has a low transom, but are there any other things I should look at when looking at this boat?

I was thinking if I do buy the boat I will fill in the transom and add a bracket. I will mainly be fishing inshore and around the pass and maybe on nice days heading just outside the pass.

Any comments or suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance!
Pdash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Lifetime Member NRA
Snapper

Default chris craft sea hawk

owned a 86 sea hawk for several years ,very solid boat. handled seas well running into, across ,or down sea. never had a problem with the low transom . it was a wet boat if quartering a sea with a good breeze . loved that boat . they dont make um like that now days! 200 evinrude is plenty of power for that boat .make sure the deck is solid (no soft spots) be safe out there!

Last edited by reel-crazzzy; 04-07-2012 at 05:23 PM.
reel-crazzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
OCD Reel Service/Repair
White Marlin

I was around a Chris Craft boat like that in the 80's and it was a fine boat. What year is the boat you're looking at?

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the replies. It's an 87' hull with an 89 evinrude that had the power heads redone 2 years ago. The boat looks like it is in great shape. It's just the motor that I'm worried about.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
Blue Marlin

Quote:
I was thinking if I do buy the boat I will fill in the transom and add a bracket.
That was a easy sentence to say. Price tag would be in the $6000 range.
X-Shark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Haha! Always easier said then done. I figure if I like the boat a lot then I wouldn't mind spending the money and eventually putting a 4 stroke engine on it. I'd probably keep the boat till I can move up to my dream boat. A 24' foot blue wave... Sigh.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
Sailfish

Had an 88 cuddy for years . Do not know how much flotation is in the one you are looking at mine had none so i replaced the 550 gal pumps with 2000 gal bildge pumps middle and rear just in case.
Hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Default Chris Craft 213

I have a 89 Chris Craft 213 CC with a 04 Yamaha 200...Runs great...If you have any questions let me know... I have owned this one for 6 or 7 years and I love it...
SeaHawk10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

I went and looked at the boat on Wednesday. I took a buddy of mine who has worked on older boats before with me. The boat looks pretty clean, but there were a few hangups for me.

1. The trim for the motor wasn't working. It could be a $20 switch fix or it could be a $700 fix. I know the part is $300 but labor is around the same for the part.

2. The engine started fine and seem to run fine. However, it sounded a little sluggish coming out of the hole, which means it probably needs a tuneup from sitting all winter. I figure that would be $200

3. The key switch needs to be replaced. I know it's only about $20.

4. The trailer... I think one of the bearings would need to be replaced before I drove it back to Pensacola. There are no brakes on the trailer, which makes me a little nervous with a boat that heavy. It has no roller guides, which is something I would need to put on there since I will be by myself at the boat launch every now and then.

5. The boat itself was nice. The transom was done 6 years ago, but they did it with plywood, so I can maybe get another 4 years or so out of it before it needs replaced. There were some scrapes and scratches on it, but nothing that would deter me from buying it. Just things I would want to fix this winter.

He is asking 6k for the boat, I think he would take 5k, but I don't feel comfortable paying that much for a boat that I would have to sink another 1k into before I put it in the water. I could have taken it or left it Wednesday. Gut instinct tells me to keep looking, but it would be a great restore if I could get it for 4k. What do you guys think?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Lifetime Member NRA
Snapper

B O A T Brake out another thousand! See what his best price is and go from there. personally id say away from that engine. good luck in your search!
reel-crazzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.