Need your Loran numbers converted to GPS? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Reefs and Wrecks

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
WhackUmStackUm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,748
Default Need your Loran numbers converted to GPS?

I broke down and bought the LoranGPS conversion software from Andren in order to convert Loran numbers kindly donated to my quest for video of deep rock formations. It took me a bit of time to sort out how to use the software. Calibration of the coordinate systems seems to be the trickiest part.

Inspired by the good work that redlegs and other have done, I figured that it’s about time I did my part. Now that I am setup I would be happy to convert Loran numbers that our forum members would like translated into GPS coordinates. Just send me a PM.

A few notes:
I'm not a Loran conversion expert...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I'll need at least one Loran + GPS set for the same spot. Ideally you will be able to provide more than one set of these calibration numbers and they will be physically close to the Loran numbers you would like converted.

It will be easiest for me if the numbers come in a file in comma-delimited (.CSV) format. However, I can convert Excel files, and Loran numbers in an email message as well.

If you include the location names and comments, I will try to make sure they end up with the GPS numbers I send back.

DISCLAIMER:
These types of conversion have a varying amount of error depending on a number of factors such as, geographic accuracy of the Loran system itself near the given waypoints, number and accuracy of the calibration GPS/Loran points, the Loran receiver used, and so on. With this in mind, I can’t guarantee the accuracy of the conversions. However, the GPS numbers should get you close in many cases, and spot-on in others. Some will undoubtedly be way off.

Bryan
__________________
“There is only one way to avoid criticism:
do nothing,
say nothing,
and be nothing.”—Aristotle

Last edited by WhackUmStackUm; 10-07-2011 at 10:39 PM.
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
Trigger
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 341
Default

13289.2 46985.0
29 54.912 87 07.802

350 FT ROCK LEDGE

That software will definitely get you in the "area ", I'll make one suggestion when spending the time,money and effort make for sure all the numbers your checking are in the same area for each trip. I have the software also but as you know a lot of things get covered up including rocks particularly when we get the strong current every 5 or 6 years or storms....Some of the conversions were within a few hundred ft and some were way way off...but hey if you get one good one its all worth it..GOOD LUCK
CAPT. PAUL REDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam
 
lobsterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Okaloosa
Posts: 7,298
Default

It all has to do with how many actually known numbers you have for that area. The more marker numbers the better the conversion.
__________________
AKA Jiggin Junkie


II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

http://alljiggedup.com/



Randy's Canvas & Marine Vinyls
850-279-4140
850-855-5314 cell
Custom Awnings - Repairs
Boat Cushions - Curtains and more
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Whizzed off realist
Sailfish
 
Burnt Drag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,172
Default

Northstar 951 and 952 have what's called a "Phantom Loran". Before Loran signed off some time back, I determined that my phantom was off by 2 numbers on the bottom line and dead on on the top line. These machines are not made any longer, but they can be found on ebay, and Jerry @ Georges is a whiz with them.
Burnt Drag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
WhackUmStackUm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Drag View Post
Northstar 951 and 952 have what's called a "Phantom Loran". Before Loran signed off some time back, I determined that my phantom was off by 2 numbers on the bottom line and dead on on the top line. These machines are not made any longer, but they can be found on ebay, and Jerry @ Georges is a whiz with them.
Awesome suggestion Bro!

It turns out that the latest release of software for my Lowrance HDS unit also has the "Phantom Loran" feature. I'll give it a try.
__________________
“There is only one way to avoid criticism:
do nothing,
say nothing,
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
WhackUmStackUm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT. PAUL REDMAN View Post
13289.2 46985.0
29 54.912 87 07.802

350 FT ROCK LEDGE

That software will definitely get you in the "area ", I'll make one suggestion when spending the time,money and effort make for sure all the numbers your checking are in the same area for each trip. I have the software also but as you know a lot of things get covered up including rocks particularly when we get the strong current every 5 or 6 years or storms....Some of the conversions were within a few hundred ft and some were way way off...but hey if you get one good one its all worth it..GOOD LUCK
Thanks!

I just had an autopilot installed. It has a seach option which makes the boat go in a spiral outward. My plan is to run out to a converted number and then start the autopilot search while pulling my side-scan sonar fish. Hopefully I'll find a few spots that way.
__________________
“There is only one way to avoid criticism:
do nothing,
say nothing,
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
Senior Member
Blue Marlin
 
sealark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pensacola, Sherman Cove Marina
Posts: 4,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhackUmStackUm View Post
Thanks!

I just had an autopilot installed. It has a seach option which makes the boat go in a spiral outward. My plan is to run out to a converted number and then start the autopilot search while pulling my side-scan sonar fish. Hopefully I'll find a few spots that way.
Be careful in that deep water those rocks will come up sometimes 50' real quick. All you have to do is get in the general area and you will find all kinds of rocks and ledges in the 210-250 foot region.
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
WhackUmStackUm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealark View Post
Be careful in that deep water those rocks will come up sometimes 50' real quick. All you have to do is get in the general area and you will find all kinds of rocks and ledges in the 210-250 foot region.
Understood. Thanks!
__________________
“There is only one way to avoid criticism:
do nothing,
say nothing,
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
Junior Member
Cigar Minnow
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
Default Td-ll

Bryan how do I contact you please i.e. loran conversions of some of my numbers?
VineyardFox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
Sailfish
 
WhackUmStackUm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VineyardFox View Post
Bryan how do I contact you please i.e. loran conversions of some of my numbers?
Just send me a private message on the Forum. The conversion is most accurate when you also have some GPS numbers near the areas where your Loran numbers are.
__________________
“There is only one way to avoid criticism:
do nothing,
say nothing,
and be nothing.”—Aristotle
WhackUmStackUm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2