What gives these guys the right??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Hurricane Help/Info and more

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #1
Grouper

Default What gives these guys the right???

I am sitting here listening to the Weather Channel's latest on-the-scene "reporting" of Hurricane Ike's progress since it came on shore. And Specifically Mike Siddell's shoddy speculative reporting on towns that he hasn't even visited nor had any updated information since yesterday afternoon, what is he thinking???

He is talking about the storm surge and uses phrases like "so that town should be decimated by now", or "I expect those homeswill be flattened" or "there probably is nothing left of that area of town" when referring to specific towns, areas of towns, and specific housing developments!!! My God!! How does he think people who have relatives and friends who live there or the residents themselves would feel hearing that their entire town is "decimated"???? That is some of the poorest quality speculative reporting that I have seen lately and I think that those on-the-spot reporters are doing a grave disservice to bringing the public objective coverage of a natural disaster!!! To take random guesses as to the condition of someone's living area is just not called for in my opinion when they don't even have any factual information to substantiate their reporting!

I can understand the melodramatic effects that they tend to use when they are suddenly blown off their feet by a gust of wind but, let's get real people, what the hell are they doing standing out in a full fledged hurricane anyway trying to shout above the screaming wind about the flying debris that is slapping against the buildings and all the glass shards that are flying around threatening their very life and limbs?????

GET INSIDE AND FIND A SAFE PLACE TO REPORT, YA DUMBASS!!!

Do y'all consider this to be good quality reporting or are these "weather glory hunters" going a bit overboard to enhance their otherwise boring day to day job??? I have heard very very little of a positive note from any of them on how the evacuation helped or what the local LEO's are doing to help out or any other positive notes to help with an otherwise very destructive storm, possibly the most devastating storm of this season!

There was a female reporter on Fox that was reporting from the stairwell of the hotel that she took shelter in and she was one of the very few smart reporters that I heard so far this morning!

1. Rust
2. Politicians
Framerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: What gives these guys the right???

I agree. They Hype so many stories, you don't know what to believe. It's too bad there isn't a news source that is not also a commercial venture.
opus68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Grouper

One of these clowns just made a comment to the effect that the back side of the storm is going "right down refinery row" and we sure don't want to see that because we already have had a spike of "5% to 10% in gas prices since the storm headed toward shore"!!!

Where is HE buying gas??? It went up more like 65% around MY neck o' the woods!!!

1. Rust
2. Politicians
Framerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
CCC
Blue Marlin

They have nothing better to do, you have to remember these guys make their living doing this so the more doom and gloom the better, no differen't than the democrats saying we are in a recession all the ice is melting from global warming and we will all burn to death from the sun in 20 years.

I just moved from Houston 2 years ago and I just heard a reporter saying that windows are being blown out in the skyscrapers, except Houston has no skyscrapers.
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Supporting Vendor
Grouper

Totally agree, it has gone way too far.....

Owner, Gulf Coast Outfitters, LLC

http://www.gcoonline.com/

Like us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/GulfCoastOutfitters

http://twitter.com/GCOonline
Gulf Coast Outfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
Snapper

Yep, for those of you that remember when Ivan hit; I'll never forget the sinking feeling I had for 5 of the longest days of my life, when the media did nothing but report, there was "nothing" left in the Perdido Key/Innerarity Point area. I'll never forget the words as long as I live, then only to arrive home 5 days later, and find my home still intact, with minimal damage. My damage was enough, but compared to others it was minimal. Truly a miracle.

</HTMLFRMT>
SandyKeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
White Marlin

And this Geraldo Rivera dude.... geez of all the people in all the hurricanes who were sucked out to sea....

you'd think that mustache would catch more wind is all I'm saying.

What a waste of brain space.
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.