made the big decision on windows - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Hurricane Help/Info and more

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Grouper

Default made the big decision on windows

made the big decision on my doors and windows, went with impact doors and windows. My house is on pilings so access to windows is a little tough, espically as I get a little older. Cost was $2800 more compared to standard windows and hurricane panels.
pappastratos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

What company did you use?
wolfish82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Grouper

hey, I bought them thru NFL, MI brand
Old 08-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
OCD Reel Service/Repair
White Marlin

That's mighty cheap. You must not have very many widows. I have one door that cost that much..!

Sorry I didn't read the post correctly. $2,800 more than compared to others. You will be glad you have them. Mine are built by Life Guard. All stainless steel.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"

Last edited by Ocean Master; 08-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

If its on pillons, sounds like its close to the water, if Thats the case, i would recomend vinyl. Just my opinion. Have those stainless windows started showing any kind of rust ocean master? I know you said stainless, but i have seen stainless rust on the coast!
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

I almost killed myself before Ivan.

Picture a 50 year old man and his buddy putting up pre-measured corrogated tin panels. A few windows were above the drive way. I had an extension ladder. We pulled it apart. I gave him the one with the feet. I took the one with just plastic ends.

Set them up on either side of a window, second floor. I climbed up with the panel. As I reached across to mount the panel, the ladder began to slide out from beneath me. I threw the panel away, grabbed the ladder, hung on and prepared for a broken ankle or two at the bottom.

I hit the concrete and laid back, NOTHING wrong!!!!

"WHEW,... THAT was close!!!" I thought! Then a second later the panel came down and a corner hit the concrete a couple inches from my throat....

It bent the corner about 4 inches.

That was my latest "near death experience".

My new house has "High Impact Glass" throughout except for the sliding glass doors where I have those folding accordion doors installed.

A man has to know his limitations. Mine at 50 years old, became ladders over 6 feet tall.

Jim

Don't ask me how I know.
jim t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
If its on pillons, sounds like its close to the water, if Thats the case, i would recomend vinyl. Just my opinion. Have those stainless windows started showing any kind of rust ocean master? I know you said stainless, but i have seen stainless rust on the coast!
I have seen it rust in less than a year , used to work for a general contracor that salt air destroys anything it touches
floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

I have seen stainless hardware rust within a year and fall apart rusty within 3 years. I am talking 316 stainless. I dont belive anything can hold up to salty air. But i was curious of the windows? And maybe even if they offer a warranty?
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Grouper

The cost extra for doors and windows was $4100 more. I have a french door, 2 standard doors and several windows. My wife did not want the lag bolts (panel mates) sticking out around the doors and windows or the channels at top and bottom. Did not budget for it but one less worry, espically if I am out of town and a storm quickly develops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.