Trim pump help, please! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Boat Repair - Questions,Answers and Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Trim pump help, please!

I'm feeling like something is whacky, I'm not sure what?

I just put a new 12v Trim Pump motor AND 2 new Trim Pump Relays on.

Whatever is supposed to reverse the polarity seems like its not working?

If I hook up all the wires as it should be; ie Trim sending unit, Trim limit switch and the Power connector for the Trim Pump motor, the Tilt/Trim seems to only work intermittently?

If I unhook the Trim sending unit & The Trim limit switch, the Tilt/Trim works fine BUT, both switches (Up Switch & Down Switch) make the motor go DOWN.

If I switch the polarity on the Trim Pump Motor connector, both switches (Up Switch & Down Switch) will only make the motor go UP.

If I disconnect the hood tilt/trim switch I still have the same result with the binnacle switches, ie both switches only move the motor UP or DOWN (DEPENDING ON HOW I HOOK UP THE POWER WIRES FOR THE TRIM PUMP MOTOR).

I'm wondering if somehow the Trim Sending Unit or, Trim Limit switch affect the ability of the Tilt/Trim system to reverse polarity?

I've checked ground wires and power wires, cleaned them etc. I'm stumped??
BIGRIGZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Grouper

It's a 1992 Johnson 225hp PLENR...
Old 06-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Mingo

Are you sure the hyd. hoses are not backwards? I would google the schematics for the wiring. I'm not very familiar with OMC pumps.
collinscraft2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Grouper

we figured it out.........I'm posting my results to possibly help anyone else that has this problem.

The main problem was in the binnacle trim switch. I never expected that because the binnacle is only 3-4 years old?

The binnacle switch circuit had a short that was backfeeding the panel to the tilt/trim relays.
Every time you hit DOWN or UP (on the cowl switch or binnacle) the motor would move up/down for a second then immediately stop working.

We saw with a test light that the UP AND DOWN circuits were getting voltage at the SAME time when you used the cowl switch.
For example, if you hit the UP/Blue wire you would see voltage on the relay socket for Blue AND see voltage on the DOWN/Green wire circuit!
We disconnected the binnacle trim switch and the problem of getting voltage across both UP & DOWN trigger wires at the same time went away.

I suppose the short in the binnacle trim switch is what killed my trim pump motor in the first place?
The tilt/trim never got possessed and moved on its own but, apparently for some time it had been sending voltage to move the trim pump motor up & down at the same time until the trim motor gave out?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.