Trim Motor on a 1994 Mercury 90 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Boat Repair - Questions,Answers and Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Trim Motor on a 1994 Mercury 90

I have a 90 hp Merc (SN 0G101232) on my Carlson Back Bay Skiff flats boat. Haven't been able to use it too much lately, mostly because of some health issues, but things seem to be going a bit better and am getting a hankering to catch a few reds and trout so I was checking things out and all was well except for the tilt/trim. Did diagnostics (solenoids, grounds, battery charge, direct power to green and blue wires to trim motor, etc) and have found there to be 12.52 VDC coming across the solenoids on pressing the t/t switch both up (blue wire and down (green wire) and have hooked 12 VDC directly to the blue wire + ground and the green wire + ground without getting anything out of the trim motor. Neither the wiring diagram or looking at the harness shows a fuse in the direct circuit so I do feel like the motor is shot. Agree?

Well, I have done a lot of work and repairs on boats and engines but have never had to tear into a tilt/trim except for replacing switches in the control and on the lower cowling.

My questions are does anybody have a good source for a new or rebuilt trim motor? The engine, as stated is a 1994 Merc 90 hp and has a serial # on the sticker of 0G101232. As best as I can determine the model # is 1090412PD. I am also wondering if the motor can be replaced without having to remove the entire T/T system? And finally, anybody got a guessestimate as to the cost to have a good shop do the job? Oh yes, the trim motor on my engine has a square body and a 3 wire harness (blue, green and black).

I've got the Seloc Tune-up and Repair Manual for the engine and from what I get out of it, they seem to say the motor can be replaced by taking the unit partly out but after getting the engine totally raised to the trailer position, it appears there would be enough room to remove the trim motor without having to partially drop it.
Capt Joe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
White Marlin

I will look that up for you today and get back to you..

Ms Penny Fishing Team

Member NRA 172499461

Barber Marina

1-251-987-2628 (BOAT)

www.barbermarina.com

Sequoiha@cox.net
Sequoiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Mingo

Thanks, Kenny. Standing by.....
Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Mingo

I know that ARCO on Navy Blvd. sells really good trim motors, made right here in Pensacola, if that is what you need. Great parts, knowledgeable staff.
collinscraft2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Grouper

I believe the three wire pump is unavailable now and now have to use the two wire which means the relays have to be replaced.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Mingo

Thanks for the replies. I called Arco and yes, they did have them in stock...with the 3 wire harness which, since my solenoids are working fine, would not require putting in new relays. As I understand it, the difference is a motor that uses a field armature and one that uses a premanent magnet. I was told there was really no difference in performance, etc in the two so I am inclined to just go back with what I've got and have had nearly 20 years of good service from.

I also called my guy here in Panama City at Panama Marine and he has BOTH the 3 wire and 2 wire motors in stock. Prices range from $285 at Panama Marine for the 3 wire to $345 at Arco.......BUT, I have found a better deal from a guy who use to work for Byron and Son Electric Motor here in PC. Since they closed, he now works at Tyndall AFB and rebuilds motors on the side. The rebuild should run around $125 or so. Hope to get it back next week.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
Grouper

That's Joel Byron, he's the son in Bryon and Son. Known him for better than 4o years. Good guy and does good work. Sad he had to give up the alternator/starter business but you reach an age where a government job with benefits is too good to pass up. Tell him Capt Ken asked about him.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Mingo

That's him, Ken. I hope that he gets my trim motor redone next week as I'm hoping to get out towards the end of the week.
I'll be sure to tell him you said 'Howdy'.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #9
Mingo

Default Ouch!!!!

Just back in town from a little motorhome trip with the grandboys and called to check on the status of my boat. Good news and bad.... Good news is that it is ready to go and running well. Bad news is I really didn't want to spend a bit over $500 on it right now. Looked like the trim motor was totally eaten up inside from getting salt water inside of the housing (might have been through a crack in the wiring harness on the trim motor) and they were unable to get it rebuilt. Had to put a new ltrim motor on ($350) instead of a $125 rebuild but they did do a few other small things to the engine/fuel system to check it out and run it for me. I will certainly feel better having it repaired and a hopefully it will perform well for a while..... I hate to have ANYTHING I own and use that is not working correctly. My flats boat and its engine might be 1994 models, but EVERYTHING, including all lights, gauges, pumps, etc works and the gel is still glossy.

Anyway, guess I'll pick it up on Monday and make sure all is well. Then I have to move the motorhome out of the way to get the boat to its covered parking spot. Can't wait to get the double wide cover built so I can take either the MH or the boat out without having to move them around.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Grouper

Ouch!! Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.