Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Throwing in the towel....

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  boatnbob 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Malibu Wakesetter boat....last season, it started and ran fine...took it to the boat ramp and no power. I can't figure it out...I thought I could figure it out but it's a no go....I am asking to see if anyone is able to work on this thing....it's a wakeboard boat....I thought the fuses might have been blown but they work.....I brought it from Oklahoma City when I moved here in 2013 and got to use it only a handful of times....just like to get it running again....

Dimebag

#2 · (Edited)
My advice ...... sell it & get a fishing boat with an outboard! :D

But seriously .... first things first, is your battery dead? Does the starter turn over at all or try to?

Also ... what area are you located in? It would be helpful for somebody to know what mechanics to recommend to you. You don't want to hear about mechanics in Niceville if you live in Mobile.

(btw ... you should make sure your motor will start before you leave the house, not at the boat ramp.)

#6 · (Edited)
Make sure your ground wire is secured and not corroded; not the one on the battery but the one that actually grounds in the boat. We had a Mastercraft that had a similar electrical problem and it turns out the bolt that attached the ground wire had corroded and the whole electrical system wasn't getting a good ground. It's been over 10 years since this happened, so memory isn't the clearest, but I think it grounded to the engine block and was a place susceptible to splashing from the bilge

Oh, and let me know if you ever need a boat driver. I've driven a wakeboard boat (and ridden) for over 18 years. Finding locals with a boat has been a little tough lately....when we had access to a boat, I know finding an experienced driver could be tough. I use to be a pretty decent rider back in the early 2000s. I'm happy to pitch in for gas and help clean the boat

#9 · (Edited)
Lots to check

Are you getting any power to the instrument cluster? Also, is this drive by wire or all throttle linkage. My 07 MC X1 was drive by wire and had a computer to drive the instruments and a seperate engine MEFI5 computer that only one dealer in Ft. Walton could read. I spent $800 on the program to read codes.

Good advice on here. I like Shane, but he wasn't big on inboards when I talked to him and he recommended Dave Disher. Dave didn't have the program for my boat but did spend about 2 hours going over the engine. In the end, he didn't want to charge me as he didn't have the right program to pull my codes. Stand up guy, and I paid him anyway! I am thinking he will have the program for his diagnosis tools for yours. For some reason, MC picked a wierd little used MEFI system (of course expensive too)

Check the easy stuff first. Next to my battery on my MC, I also had a separate switchable fuse, then other fuses to check under the dash. Aslo, check the tranny as you have a neutral safety switch to keep you from starting in gear. Also, check to see if your kill switch lanyard gizmo isn't activated. Check that the starter is receiving power when you turn the switch. It could be frozen or on a bad spot. I replaced mine with an updated low amp draw multi geared starter. Worked great. It is most likely something simple if it was running last time. Our fresh water boats can be problematic in these saltwater conditions. Use a salt eliminating solution and fluid film regularly to protect the metal and connections. I also used ACF50 on my aluminum areas of the boat.

Hope you get it running again soon. I sold mine last year due to lack of use.

Cheers,

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.