Spun Prop? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Boat Repair - Questions,Answers and Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Spun Prop?

How do you tell if that's the problem? It'a 70HP 1999 Johnson. It ran fine most of the day but started making weird noises. Then acting like it was cavitating. Eventually wouldn't push the pontoon boat at all. Was towed to navy point where it is tied up at a friend's dock. It was too dark to work on it last night.

Is it possible that it's just a shear pin? Don't think they put those on larger engines.

Is there any place to have the prop looked at on Saturday and buy one if that is the problem?

Last edited by birdsnest; 09-17-2011 at 08:25 AM.
birdsnest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
White Marlin

Sounds like it's spun. Try the Prop Shop.
http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1T4A...e&ved=0CAQQ_BI
Old 09-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
Snapper

Thanks.. Called and got an answer but they wont be open until 11 today
Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Depending on the price, you might get a new prop and have the other one repaired. It's good to have more than one around anyway, right?
aroundthehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Snapper

I've never had prop problems with the Yamaha 115 that I ran for 15 years on my former Cape Horn. I don't know if it's a common problem with Johnsons but if they can get me under way with a replacement prop I'll definitely consider having that one repaired. Do you know if they stock replacement props or just rebuild the ones you bring in?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Grand Slam

I'm not sure, birdsnest. I've only driven by there. People swear by the owner, though. I believe his name is Bill Mathews (?; was looking around and there was another thread about prop repair a few months ago).

I might be confused but there is also an AccuProp that I have seen, down by the Oar House. Not sure if they are the same group of people or not.

I don't think that a spun prop is that hard for them to fix, if that is your problem. Doesn't it just involve a galvanized rubber piece?

Weekend is definitely the sh-ttiest time for boat repair!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Snapper

For some reason I was thinking Tim Scallon or maybe a brother of his was associated with the Prop Shop. I know Tim does aluminum towers and such and I've always been very satisfied with his work.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Snapper

One more Question.. Is there any special tools I may need to get the prop off. I remember seeing a cotter pin and a large Hex nut. Looks like pliers and Channel Locks will take care of that. Anything else I need to be aware of?
Old 09-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
Grand Slam

I'm looking at a manual (and just from my experience with a Nissan motor)... looks like cotter pin, castellated nut (the hex looking thing), then washers and some other stuff depending on your model. Once you remove the nut, it all should come right out.

It shouldn't be hard to take off but make sure that you know how to put it back together! I also have a Johnson motor on my other boat; haven't had to take the prop off yet but I imagine that it can't be much different.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Grand Slam

Also...are you sure it's a prop problem?

Could be a problem in the fuel system. Fuel/water separator or fuel filter. I just replaced both on my Johnson and it cost me less than 35 bucks. Another weird thing that can happen, which was the source of my real problem, is that the primer bulb can go bad. Check carefully for any holes in it.

Sounds like it's the prop, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.