Solar trickle charger question. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Boat Repair - Questions,Answers and Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Solar trickle charger question.

I saw in the West Marine ad last week that they have a small solar trickle charger for keeping batteries fully charged. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these. Do they work? Would a small one be suffecient to keep two 650 amp starter batteries up?Since my boat is outside all day, was thinking of adding a small one to my T-top. Might keep me from having to drag my trickle charger and extension cord out.
FishVan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man
Default RE: Solar trickle charger question.

Yes they work. I have one that the VW factory installs into the cars they ship. It plugs into the cigar lighter and has 4 suction cups to stick onto the windshield. I'm sure that the ones they use cost some bucks as they are supposed to be shipped back to the factory.
Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Hey I have one of those VW solar chargers. Never used it for anything. Is it safe to leave it plugged in all the time. Im sure its not waterproof though is it?
bullet175 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Sailfish

I have one from Harbor Freight that I used in my service van. Plugged it into the accy plug and it kept two batteries charged without a problem. The low amp output ones are ok to leave connected, but the ones with a higher output require a monitor/regulator and can get expensive.
sosmarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 02:18 AM   #5
Mingo

I got one from Boaters World. Use it all the time and it works great. Only thing is you want to keep it dry so I left it in the blister package it came with and ran the wire out.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Rich (2/23/2009)I got one from Boaters World. Use it all the time and it works great. Only thing is you want to keep it dry so I left it in the blister package it came with and ran the wire out.
:withstupid
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
bullet175 (2/22/2009)Hey I have one of those VW solar chargers. Never used it for anything. Is it safe to leave it plugged in all the time. Im sure its not waterproof though is it?
Safe to leave plugged in all the time...well I'm sure it is otherwise VW wouldn't use then as they are installed for a long time. In the manufactures lot, on the boat shipped here and on the receiving lot. They are not removed until they are picked up to be delivered to the dealer.

As for waterproof ...ummmm probably not since they are installed inside the car. Suction cupped to the inner windshield. If I needed it to be exposed to the elements I'd have it protected some way.
Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Mingo

Thanks for all the responses. I looked at one when I was in the store shoping for some other stuff Saturday. IMHO, the one they had looked a little cheesy. I was thinking it was something I could mount on my T-top permanent like. There were other accessories alongside it (voltage controller, monitor, etc.) something like these would probably be necessary if it was going to be left installed for a long period of time. And, not sure if it is waterproof or not. It would be a bummer to go out to the lift after a wind storm and find it floating in the bayou.
FishVan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Grouper

Here are some that are waterproof.

http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...p;x=25&y=9
Get'n Wade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
Grouper

Nice!

davlormarine@hotmail.com
www.davlormarine.webs.com
DOUBLE "D" & LV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.