Qsm11 670hp - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Boat Repair - Questions,Answers and Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Qsm11 670hp

Splashed the HAYMAL, 1979 46' Hatteras, yesterday at barbers. So far we have removed old cats, 3176b 600hp, cleaned the engine room, replaced the batteries, removed shafts and had them straightened, installed new Michigan 4 blade wheels, reglassed and drilled new holes where shafts enter the hull, installed new drippless shaft seals, sanded and painted bottom and all running gear except wheels, installed two transom steps, waxed and buffed entire topside and hull sides, had one gear, zf350a resplined at zf in new orleons to match port side, and now we are back on shore power at Barbers Marina.

Before we cruised right at 20 knots at 1800 rpm burning 18.5 gallons per side.

Now to my question, the new QSM11 are 670 hp and weight around 500 lbs lighter per side. Therefore we are going to gain 140hp and lose 1000lbs. New bottom new wheels.

Any guesses out there on where we will cruise? Fuel consumption? David Massey did the new wheels and went conservative to protect the new engines.
Haymal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
White Marlin

22 knot cruise. Much better fuel burn. That hull is not a fast hull no matter how much HP you put in it. Love the Cummins engines! Ya'll will love them! Man i sure would hate to pay that bill for all of that work! Good luck with her, those 46's are a beautiful boat.
LITECATCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks capt. I figured that's around where I would be. The fuel savings and the hopefully lack of major mechanical issues due to the new engines is really the payoff I'm excited about!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Grouper

That's a heavy hull and losing the half ton is the same as running with approx 150 gallons less diesel. The balance of the boat is going to determine the speed. Sometimes less isn't better if it throws the weight/balance off. If I remember correctly, the 46 had just one big aft tank under the console floor. It may take more trim tabs now to keep the bow lower till you burn off some fuel.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the response. My boat has two tanks under the cockpit with the lazaret between them. I'll post my actual numbers after the install is complete. Until then tight lines!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.