Paint over Gelcoat? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Boat Repair - Questions,Answers and Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Paint over Gelcoat?

I am nearing completion of thefiberglass repairs on the project boatwhich were kinda extensive, and was considering what to do about the final finish.Looking over the hull, there are a number for dings and deep scratches in the gelcoat that I would like to go ahead and repair.Given the extent of these repairs it would seem that it would be simpler to just go ahead andpaint the whole boat rather than try to match the gelcoat color on the repaired areas. <UL><LI>Any recommendations on painting over the old gelcoat? </LI><LI>Is this even advisable?</LI><LI>What would I need to do as far as surface prep?</LI>[/list]
I've read through the guidance literature from Interlux and West Systems but they don't seem to address this particular situation. Seem to be more orientedtoward bare fiberglass and wood. Any advice would be greatly appereciated.

Thanks

Alan
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Paint over Gelcoat?

Allan Im no professional painter by no means but I had the same similar issues with my Sea Chaser.I had some good scratches and gouges in my gelcoat also. I just used normal bondo and sprayed a primer over it and use the Interlux Perfection Fighting Lady Yellow on it and it turned out great IMHO. As far as prepping I hand sanded the whole boat with 400 grit.

Capt. Mickey Locke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Sailfish

Looks good. :clap I would hope that mine would turn out looking that nice after I'm done. Thanks for theadvice.

Alan
Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Trigger

i painted my boat with perfection as well, i brushed the bottom and sprayed the top and you can't beat the finish. It cures very hard and looks great. This was my first every project boat so it isa DIY paint.

Before

After

KP
KPTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

There are several paints out there for spraying fiberglass, just do like OS-911 said, sand well and clean thouroughly and paint. Most fiberglass paints have hardner to put in them. DuPont Imron is the one I am familiar with.

II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

http://alljiggedup.com/

Randy's Canvas & Marine Vinyls
850-279-4140
850-855-5314 cell
Custom Awnings - Repairs
Boat Cushions - Curtains and more
lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
Mingo

I painted my boat with Diamont automotive base/clear (over gelcoat). Primed, sanded, painted, cleared....just as you would a car. I would recommend using Awlgrip or some type of marine paint. My boat turned out great, but the paint is soft.

Rodznreelz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #7
Grouper

AWL GRIP is the best paint out there. Used on Airplanes and tolerates heat/cold and severe conditions. If you are going to do all the prep for a nice job, spend the extra hundred bucks and get a paint that will last 10 years plus and shine like glass. Do not use bondo. There are marine grade fillers that are more condusive for boats and don't cost that mush more.

Give me a call and I'll talk you through the process. Spray application gives the best results.
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Sailfish

Those are some nice looking boats guys. My main concern was how well the paint would bond to the old gelcoat. I guess it is all in the amount of prep work and using the right primer.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Trigger

Perfection will bond just fine if you follow the directions, my boat was gel coat. Don't use on the bottom even with a trailered boat because the paint will blister if it stays in contact with a wet bunk board for long periods.

KP
KPTN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
Grouper

Are you guys spraying this paint on or is it rolled on?
polar21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.