Motorguide Digital Trolling Motor Problems - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Boating Topics > Boat Repair - Questions,Answers and Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Motorguide Digital Trolling Motor Problems

I've got a Motorguide 55lb saltwater digital trolling motor that I purchased brand new in July 2009. It has been used very little (I travel a lot with work). The circuit board fried, under warranty, last summer after it was used twice. It was fixed by Fox's trolling motors, no questions asked. This summer on my third trip out it fried again. Vernon, at Fox's trolling motors, knew what it was when I walked in. I was told that if it was run over 3/4 thrust it would burn boards up, religiously.

I didn't know if anyone else has run into this problem or may have a solution. This is the first time I've had a problem with a motorguide that was this serious. Considering I don't use it much and it's only pushing a 16 foot aluminum boat I was surprised it couldn't handle what I dished out.

Thanks
Matt
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
Mingo

I've had somewhat the same problem with mine since I bought it. The only time I do run it on high is if I come up on someone fishing as I'm fishing down the shoreline, I'll kick it up on high just to hurry out and around the fisherman as not to disturb him. But 95% of the time it will just kick off. It's a shame when you pay $400 for something that will not work 100% for you at least for one year after you purchase it!! Guess they just don't make things like they used to.
circlehook69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

After talking with motorguide and the repairshop it looks like I may get a replacement. I'm still waiting on the final word. The motor fried another board when they replaced it and it's shutting off within the manufacturer's tollerances on amp draw.

Motorguide has been fairly easy to deal with but I'd avoid the varimax line of trolling motors until they get this resolved.
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.