Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

A little help please

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Jet fishin 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay here goes I have a 1989 Johnson 110 VRO that was converted to a regular fuel pump.
It runs pretty crappy most of the time. Occasionally it'll hit on all cylinders and spool up and run almost perfect.
Only the ball down again and not want to run much above the 1800 rpm's.
I found a broken coil today when I changed all of the coils to the spares I had off my other motor. I thought for sure that this was it.
However it did not fix the problem.
I think it's a fuel issue I believe is starving but I'm at my wits and and before I take it to Livinston in Milton which is an hour drive for me I'd love to think that I can fix this thing myself.
Suggestions please!

Does anyone know scooter on gulf beach hwy.
Is he any good, is he reasonable?
I just hate the idea of that drive up and back to Milton twice.

#3 ·
Does it open on up if you play with the choke???

I ask because mine does, which tells me it is starving. And having just put new pumps on it, and even added an in line pump so I know its flowing good and makes no difference unless I feather the choke. Then it runs great. I had some ine linned up to come and look or fix it. Said 3 weeks that was 4 weeks ago. I just cant trust anybody but myself to keep their word and back up their work. So I will rebuild the carbs my self. Good luck with yours!

#4 ·
TRG thanks did the timing thing last year. At the time it would not spool up and that straighted it out.

Jaster choke only slows it down but that is the push botton key choke.

I am thinking fuel pump, hoses under cowling and rebuild carbs.

Thanks for the help

#7 ·
Update

Check coils one was broken one was cracked.
Replaced with my back ups
Check fuel pump. When turning over motor it was not putting out strong steady pulses. Rebuilt fuel pump.
Rebuilt carbs. They were very clean inside but rebuilt them anyways.
Replaced all hoses under cowling.
Put it in tonight.
Fired it up it missed a little.
Put it in gear and dropped the hammer to the stop.
It stumbled at first then hit, then stumbled twice. Bang we are off and running.
Full power available. It ran from navy point ramp to the no wake zone fine.
Backed it down eased thru no wake. Dropped the hammer bang full power again.
5 min later it fell off plane again.
We are back to 8 mph top speed.
I am seating in the lagoon scratching my head.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#8 ·
Try a portable fuel tank. I once had a boat that would run fine for about 5 minutes then fall on its face. After a year of trying to find the cause, it turned out to be a piece of cellafane, like from a cigarette wrapper in the fuel tank that would be sucked up flat to the pick-up. Removed it and never had another problem.

#9 · (Edited)
1:45 am update

Ok I have found one cylinder with very little spark.
It's not the spark plug wire because I switch them and the same cylinder has poor spark.
Going to try cleaning coil ground at first light.
And maybe napa will deliver a coil to south winds

Now hopefully more sleep

Ps. Thanks Donut Slayer
I'll try it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.