Whats the use in having home A/C?? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Motorcycle, ATV Service
Sailfish

Default Whats the use in having home A/C??

Okay, rental company sent A/C guy out today... wife said he was there for 5 mins tops.... said there was too much refrigerant in system and he, I guess, let some out...... Wife called 10 mins ago and said house is up to 80 now..... Called rental company people, who I am sure are sitting in a really nice cool house that they use for an office, and the lady swears that on a day like today an inside temp of 80 is doing good....... Whats the sense in having air conditioning in your house if its not going to cool????? Guess my best bet it just open the windows and put a fan in the ones on the shady side of the house... probably would do just as good and be cheaper on electric...... First I got to deal with the glass in the yard, worrying bout the dogs getting hold of some of that and not being able to walk around bare footed... and now I got to deal with a hot house.... I thought this was paradise!! Tell ya one thing, once my lease is up I am out of this house......

I am still not sure how the guy properly troubleshot the system in 5 mins.. Shoot, would take me 5 mins to get my guages all hooked up when I did HVAC work.. He never even went in the house to take any vent temps....

Wonder how much it would cost me to have someone come out and double check this thing.......... would probably be worth it to pay out of pocket to have a cool house... but then again, woman at the rental company said no way you can get down any lower than 80 on a day like today....

Okay, end of rant....

Doug "Breeze" Middleton
www.cyclesbybreeze.net
850-438-0401

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cycles...88519777907410

10% discount to Forum Members
25% discount to Active Duty

"America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall.
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!"
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Not true. My house is 76 right now and will get to 70 if I want it to. Efficiency of the insulation and the proper sized unit are factors, but you should be able to get cooler than 80 even on a day like today.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
Motorcycle, ATV Service
Sailfish

With the amount of air coming out of the ducts, I am sure I do not have an air leak blowing into the attic. Plus, I went out and felt the low pressure line on the condensor the other day and it was not cold and sweaty like it should be... it was cool, but no where near cold.......... These people are confusing the temp diffference inside at the return and supply with outside temps..... You would think that someone in the business of renting houses and maintaining them would know that....

Doug "Breeze" Middleton
www.cyclesbybreeze.net
850-438-0401

If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!"
Old 06-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Motorcycle, ATV Service
Sailfish

I need to check and see if the compressor is actually coming on.... I know the condensor fan comes on, but maybe the compressor isnt coming on.. wait, the guy just checked it out, I am sure he made sure the compressor is working.

Rule of thumb when I did HVAC work, first thing you did was hook up the gages... I am sure he did that! How else would he know it was overfull, right????

Doug "Breeze" Middleton
www.cyclesbybreeze.net
850-438-0401

Old 06-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Wirelessly posted (My Phone)

Put a water hose on the coils to limp through the weekend
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Sailfish

Wirelessly posted

That sounds like bs. My old central air unit is over 20 years old an i can get my house into the mid or low 70's if i want to pay the electric cost.
FelixH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Motorcycle, ATV Service
Sailfish

Okay, bear with me, its been several years since I did A/C work..... But........ Just went outside and removed the top grill and motor assy, cleaned the condensor with a hose.. wow it was dirty.. Put it back together and powered it back up.. let run a few mins and checked the temps on the lines going into the compressor. Now keep in mind, I did it by feel, not with a temp gage...... funny thing is both high and low pressure lines feel the same temp. Now I dont have a set of gages anymore, but my first thoughts on this, with both lines being the same temp, either its really low on refrigerant... or the compressor is not working. I would lean more towards a bad compressor cause even low on refrigerant it should still be a difference in temp...... Compressor sounds like its coming on but that doesnt mean its pumping..... Going to have it checked tomorrow afternoon..... I am not used to the new refrigerants so not sure how they act, but I am pretty sure when they installed the new air handler they put R22 in this one... I am familiar with R22 systems and the high pressure line coming out of the compressor should be pretty darn warm.. if I recall correctly......

Whats the opinions of ye?

Doug "Breeze" Middleton
www.cyclesbybreeze.net
850-438-0401

Old 06-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
Grouper

If the compressor kicks in and you hear it running and fan is going. But not cool or cold. May be low on charge,bad compressor and I'm sure more. Sounds like the rental company wants rent so they can take the rent to pay to fix the unit
mrwigglezdj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #9
Trigger

During our record heat last year we were over 100 61 days and we had 75-76 when we needed it
ctilton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
bluefish killer
Grand Slam

Wirelessly posted

My house stays at 72 degrees all day, every day.... 80 is BS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.