Verizon - Renewing Discount Eligibility - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Verizon - Renewing Discount Eligibility

We have been with Verizon for a number of years and just got a text from them telling me that we needed to renew our eligibility for the discount we have been receiving. Our discount stems from my wife's employment as a teacher with the local school district. She has, however, now retired from the district after 35 years of teaching and receives a retirement check from the State of Florida Retirement System.

My questions are has anyone else gotten this type of text from VZ (this is the first time in the many years I have been with them to have gotten this request), how did you approach the renewal or validation of your eligibility and what was the outcome in your situation? I just want to have an idea as to how best approach them and the best way to hopefully continue to receive the discounts I feel were earned by my wife through her dedication to her profession.

Thanks,
Capt Joe
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Bay County White Trash
Sailfish

My wife and I got the same notification 2 weeks ago. They said they wanted to verify our eligibility. Our discount stemmed from something to do with her being in school. She is now graduated and working. I told her send her info for her current employer and see if they accept it. They accepted it and were are still getting the discount.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
Mingo

Just wanted to update what has gone on with our Verizon discount. We have had a hectic September including a trip to Birmingham for me to have a couple of doctor apts but I finally got back to trying to solve my discount situation last week. After a lot of searching for a way to keep our educators discount and not having any luck with Google searches, forum requests for similar happenings, etc, I finally decided to just take the proverbial old bull by the horns and go through the Verizon discount renewal online through Verizonwireless.com.

I completed their forms, scanned a payroll 'stub' that I printed from the Florida Division of Retirement for my wife's August retirement payment and submitted that information along with a scanned copy of her Retired Teachers Association card. Waited 4 or 5 days and got an e-mail from VZ saying it was not approved.

Well, I still thought that was a raw deal but decided a little smaller discount through MY veterans status (15% vs 19% and the teachers 19% applies not only to line charges for all phones but the data pack too) and grabbed a copy of my DD214 (in case I needed it to ask for my veterans discount to be activated) along with all of the documentation for my wife's retirement and headed down to the local COMPANY owned Verizon store to see what I could do. Went in to the same store I went to about 3 weeks ago (where they had told me they couldn't process the discount renewals only NEW discount requests) and just told them my renewal had been turned down and what could I do? Rep I was talking with looked as some things on his computer and promptly went for the store manager...." Oh boy", I was thinking, "things are headed South now.....". The store manager started by telling me he thought that he had seen a 'new profile' for teacher retirees recently and then actually found it, scanned my documents and submitted them. About 2 days later, I had confirming e-mails from VZ and all is well between them and me..... didn't even try to take my unlimited data plan away. Additionally, I had been told earlier I couldn't increase my wife's text plan without changing to the 'share everything' plan and give up the unlimited data to purchase it by the Gb.... but, the store manager said 'No problem' and proceeded to give her an increase in the monthly text allowance from the current 250 up to 1000 for a net increase of $5/month.

Just wanted to pass this information on in the hopes it might help someone else who faces this same situation and also pass on an "atta boy" to Verizon. It was a bit inconvenient to have to go through this to get our discount but in the end, it was all worked out to my satisfaction and unfortunately, having dealt with this type of 'service' from large companies, it has become the 'normal' way of having to handle things.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Wirelessly posted (Air Force 1)

A lot of people are starting to receive the renewal request. Mine was in July, the discount is through International Paper. I had to include my company email then waited on a conformation to be sent out.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Sailfish

I got a letter in the mail (I probably got the email earlier but didn't read it) on September 27th, saying I had to renew by October 2nd. WTF - I get it on Friday and have to have it submitted by the following Wednesday? I called Verizon and they said to send in a pay stub. Haven't heard yet whether or nor I am approved - if not, I will probably threaten to switch to a different carrier if they don't reinstitute the discount in three days and see how they like it.
PensacolaEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Non-Senior Member
Grand Slam

I got the email and just sent them my .mil email address. They sent a confirmation email and I did one click and it was done. Was easy on my end.
Telum Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Mingo

Yeah, if your status has not changed it is a simple and easy process. In our case, the original denial was due to retirement. If it had been due to a job change, etc, I could see denying the discount but it had my hackles raised to have my wife's 35 years of teaching just thrown out.
All is well now.... for the time being....
Old 10-01-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

That is you?I called Verizon and they said to send in a pay stub. Haven't heard yet whether or nor I am approved - if not, I will probably threaten to switch to a different carrier if they don't reinstitute the discount in three days and see how they like it.
woodforth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Blue Marlin

After a 3 day fight with V I have some findings that I wanted to share since it was brought up. I had a 2 yr contract that expired in March and have a 4G iphone. It was brought to my attention that my contract had expired but of course they were continuing to accept the $98 a month that I was sending them. 2 trips to the V store and 3 encounters with the "live" assistant on there sight with a different answer almost each time, I found out that they have a pay in advance program that cut my bill $40 a month (with NO contract), and I just auto pay from my computer the payment on the 25th of each month (not to be confused with the pre paid minutes program). For this 40% drop in price, I got unlim talk, unlim text, unlim net, and 2 gig's of data which is a HUGE increase in services over my more expensive plan. I was told 3 times that this plan was NOT available for iphone, BUT IT IS (available for iphone 3, 4, and 4S)!

I was also able to upgrade and download the OS7 system on the phone and use all of the upgrades ACCEPT I can't use the 2 gig for the personal Hot Spot (as I was told that I could) for tethering lap tops, think pads, and other devices. Verizon has a block so that this is not possible because they want you to buy a Hot Spot Jetpack at $50 additional a month with a 2 year contract....
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.