Tire Question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Fireguy
Sailfish

Default Tire Question

Ok, dont think I am completely dumb, I just dont know the answer, lol........

Are spare tires as good as the ones already on vehicles? I know the small (Doughnut) tires are not but I have a 2007 Titan and Just by looking at the spare under the truck it looks the same, but is it the same as the ones already on the truck or a cheaper tire?

The reason I am asking is because one of my rear tires had a slow leak in it and I looked and looked but couldnt find a nail or anything. One day a few months ago It went flat after sitting in the driveway a few days and I dont have an air compresser so I had to use 3 cans of Fix a flat just to get it good enough to drive to the store and air it up. Well its been fine since then but I want to change that tire out when I rotate them, but I dont want to have to pay $200 for a new tire! I rather put the spare on and this as the spare.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Duerwood Willis
Sailfish

Default RE: Tire Question

Yes they are normally the same tire mounted on unattractive wheel.
Gnwdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

A tire can leak from the valve core and around the rim, so check those out when you don't see the obvious nail leak. Water/soapy wateraround bead andin and around thetire valve. 5th tire as said above if full size is the same, although if say white letters on vehicle they won't put a white letter tire as a spare (for the most part). My Dodge 2500was that way. Go invest in a 12V air pump for around $10.00-$12.00, plugs into cigarette lighter.Fix a Flat used only in an emergency, it makes a mess of the inside of a tire/wheel.:banghead:banghead
Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
White Marlin

Quote:
fire228 (11/26/2008) I rather put the spare on and this as the spare.
Sounds good but make dang sure the leak is fixed or gone. Otherwise when you need it at 3am on a highway, you will discover it is flat again.

Been off-roading and scrap up against a log or have curb rash on that rim? You might have a piece of wood or a itty bitty pebble jambed in between the bead and rim. Slow leak until you park in just the right position and the tire fleses more than at other times and then it goes down quick.

I can't see corrosion on the rim bead or valve seat being the problem unless the truck has spent winters up north in the salted roads.
johnsonbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Quote:
johnsonbeachbum (11/26/2008)
Quote:
fire228 (11/26/2008) I rather put the spare on and this as the spare.
I can't see corrosion on the rim bead or valve seat being the problem unless the truck has spent winters up north in the salted roads.
Could of had either a piece of rubber, or an imperfection on/in the bead when mounted. Also valve stems/cores do go bad.
Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Sailfish

Send a message via ICQ to bamasam Send a message via AIM to bamasam Send a message via Yahoo to bamasam

The tire stores usually only charge around $10 to repair a flat or plug a nail hole.
bamasam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Sailfish

The tire store next to Gene's Lounge on Navy Blvd. is a good honest shop. They usually charge $5 to fix your minor problem like you described. I have taken boat trailer tires for them to fix and they did NO charge.

I do not know their name and it is a grubby looking place, but the know their business. I'll be giving them my business from now on. You can't miss it, it's just west of Gene's Lounge and everybody know where Gene's is......

Tom Happy Thanksgiving to all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.