Scallop Season Steinahatchee (Spelling) - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
CCC
Blue Marlin

Default Scallop Season Steinahatchee (Spelling)

Hey guys, questions. Would like to take the family this year to scallop, I would like to possibly camp with tents but want all the amenities close by, anyone ever done this, know what to expect, and have any ideas / suggestions ?
CCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Scallop Season Steinahatchee (Spelling)

Cape San Blas is much closer and I believe you can tent camp in the State park....Excellentscallop grounds, shark fishing from beach or boat in the bay...My family and I did this for the first time last summer in Julyand can't wait to return next.

Jimmy
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

We have been going off and on to Cape San Blas for several years. We have tried the cabins, tents, and rental housing. The best seems to be to rent a home, next would be the cabins and last the tents.

One year we tried camping, it was horrible. The mosquitos were so bad that they were biting thru our jean clothing we eventually had to go out on the boat to escape them. Won't do this again.

If you use rental housing make sure to have a dock. The tides will leave your boat high and dry. Note either the cabins are rentals are usually booked for a year in advance, keep checking for cancellations.

Red fishing, floundering, specks all excellent. Keep in mind Pt. St. Joe is one of the only completely saltwater bays with little freshwater coming in. The wildlife is awesome from live sand dollars to sea horses. The horshoe crabs, rock crabs and blue crabs are all over the place. Snorklers paradise.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
Sailfish

Scallops at St. Joe were okay this year but only 'cause my dad lives on the bay and we knew where the few honey holes were. St. Marks was tremendous this year and that is were most tourists went to limit out...might outta check out there as a backup plan...just a thought....Good luck ....camping is tough at either cause of the mosquitos and the no-seeums....they will bleed you dry....I was camping on St. Vincent Island last week and they were brutal when the wind stopped blowing. Cabins at Pic's on the cape were a good bet as well as the State park cabins.

Clint
no woryz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
White Marlin

Crazy Horse,

We were thinking the same thing, rent house on the bay with dock....we rented on the gulf so kids could surf and it was great but for easy access to the bay the house seems more practical....trailering back at the end of the day to our limited parking areawas a hassal to some degree...Also, in all your years have you had many shark encounters in the bay???...the last day when every one wasback on the boat, a very large Hammer Headgave us a show busting up on schooling mullet just a few feet away....We were glad to be back in the boat and sure it will be in all our minds next time out..

Jimmy
Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
Grouper

My family has also been wanting to do this. It'd be awesome to have a PFF event down there!
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #7
Sailfish

the bay is loaded with sharks, more there than I have even seen anywhere else but they have never been a problem(usually small but not always), however, I will often spearfish for mullet and flounder while the crew gets scallops but when I shoot a fish I take it right to the boat. no sense tempting fate right. If you want to scare the family put them on the bow of the boat with glasses and cruise over the sandbars at high speed....they will never get in the water again....The bay is pretty shallow so be sure to check withthe rental house to see if there is enough water to get a boat in or out on low tide...Its always a good time...good luck...

Clint
no woryz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #8
White Marlin

You're right about cruising the sandbars...my buddy and I arrived a day prior to the crewand scoutedlocating the scallop honey holes...we observed several smaller sharks during this time but kept quiet when the crew arrived...when we took the crew out the next day I spotted a few small sharks but still kept quiet but when the hammer head showed up I became concerned...We'll be back next year and thanks for the tip concerning the tide...

Snorkeling was awesome clarity and we all enjoyed interacting with all the sea life respecting their habitat..didn't disturb anything just looked and enjoyed as we picked up scallops...

Jimmy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.