Painting your garage floor - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Painting your garage floor

Iam looking for any advice from anyone that has experience in painting their garage floor. I am entertaining the idea of doing this. For anyone that has done so would you do it again and what was the level of difficulty? What type and/or brand paint did you use? I feel fairly confident that I am going to do this as a summer project I'm just trying to here some ideas from anyone that has undertaken this project for themselves. Thanks Scott.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Mingo

Default RE: Painting your garage floor

I did my floor with concrete stain instead of paint. Its been on there since 2001. I just cleaned the floor with the pressure washer, let it dry for a couple of days and had 2 coats of stain on in a day. I should have used more of the sand like material in the stain because it is alittle slick when its wet. Thinking about freshening up the floor with another coat and adding the material. Very easy to wipe stuff of the floor and I won't have a bare concrete floor again.
m miles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Sailfish

I did mine several years ago with the Quikcrete concrete floor paint. The neat think is the colored "sprinkles" you add after applying: they really help hide flaws, and help hide dirt as well. When I sweep, I'm amazed that all that stuff was there!

The bad part: it started (and continues) peeling up where the tires rest. After talking w/customer service, it appears the floor was originally "sealed". You can test this by putting some water on the floor. If it eventually is absorbed by the concrete, you should be good to go. If it sits on top hour after hour, it's probably been sealed (of course if you built the house you would know...I'm the 3rd owner here). If it's been sealed, I'd be hesitant, or at least do more research. They did say they'd comp me some new paint, but I figured why bother. For the record, I DID etch (prep) the concrete with the included "etcher" liquid, and followed or exceeded directions.

The original results were GREAT! While dissappointing, it still looks better than before. Hope this helps!
Flounderpounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
Trigger

Hey Mike...where did you get the stain from? Does it come in different colors? I'm wanting to do mine in a blue with black/white/silver flakes.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Mingo

Scott I got mine from the Paint store on Fairfield dr just east of W st. Told them what I was looking for and they showed me there options. Very Helpful. Not sure about colors, I did mine in gray.
m miles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Check out www.crystalgranite.net for an alternative to painting.
killrjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Capt Dickhead
Sailfish

Check with BLKFLYZ, he just finished an epoxy floor that he said is badass!!
Voodoo Lounge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Snapper

GO to sherwin williams and get H/C oil base stain they have a color chart. you can paint the base one color then tape it off in like 18 inch sq. with 1/2 inch tape and it looks like tile. it also works good on pool and concrete decks but for them you can use water base . Hot tires will make water base peel. feel free to call for more info and i"ll tell you where my account is and you can pay them cash and still get contractors price. allen 380-7698
sureline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
Blue Marlin

Lowes has the expoxy paint for the garage. Once its there you can spill gas oil, acid, pretty much anything on it and just spray it off. Check into it. I think it only comes in grey though.
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
Sailfish

If you re thinking epoxy make sure you dont have a moisture problem in your garage floor. test it by placing a 2x2 plastic transparent sheet, tape down the edges for 24hrs and see it some moist builds up. If it does, epoxy will chip eventually as well any other sinthetic paint (non breathable material) Acid stain sounds more like an alternative. If u do acid stain have your garage and a window or door opened so the fumes can vent well..dont smoke while applying any flamable material/ Good luck.
Fishermon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.