Metal barn vs Pole barn - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Metal barn vs Pole barn

I need a 40 x 50 barn for hunting, camping, & equipment, four wheelers ...I have contacted some metal whole sellers & the are like used car salesmen. Thinking of a pole barn & purchasing the metal from Bakers... any advise ? Tried to contact Humphrey's from the forum...
one big one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Metal barn vs Pole barn

I did the pole barn thing and bought my metal from Baker's - it was really simple and I think using the telephone poles makes it a lot stronger than some of those metal "kits" I've seen. I used the metal for my roof and sides - just emailed Baker's my specs and all the pieces/parts were cut and ready whenI got there. Came home and just put it all together. I did a flat roof with a slight rake for drainage so I built my own trusses instead of having then fab the metal ones, but I will say I have put together a few of their A-frame metal trusses at friend's houses and they are real nice. I was planning on having them fab my trusses as well but their minimum pitch was too steep for my application. Let me know if you have any questions - I just recently went through all of it so it's fresh on the brain.

Forgot to add that buying the poles/wood and metal was WAY cheaper than some of those kit prices I've seen. I poured and finished the concrete myself, so that saved me some $ too.
Rammer Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Have you thought about one of these?

http://www.teksupply.com/farm/suppli...TERNAL_PAGE_18
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Grouper

I did an 18x40x14 pole barn a couple years ago. I had the trusses built for 4' centers and used 18' 6x6 posts. Made a double 2x12 header for both sides, set the trusses etc... I bought my metal from Baker Metal Works too. Most of the pole barn kits come with 29ga metal which is shit for a roof. I used 26ga and still came out about $500+ cheaper, buying the trusses and materials from a lumberyard vs. getting a kit from Panhandle Salvage or such. Those metal carport kits are garbage too. the posts are like 22ga and they ream you for add ons and such.
BuckWild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Blue Marlin

Try Blackwater Truss Systems I think is the name. In Milton they build an excellent quality, 1" SQUARE tube truss capable of spanning 10 feet between them and they are windload rated to 140mph.He also sells metal and metal poles for that mater. I think there trusses are pre painted red or something. It can't hurt to give em a shout n ask for a price! Gentelman's name is Ken Smith tell him Jason Hays sent ya! 850-554-0107
jaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
Snapper

I have a guy working for me that has a metal building package on the ground, but his wife is out of work and he's not getting any overtime so he can't afford to erect it and needs the money from it to pay bills. I'll get the details if your interested. Ken
deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Grouper

Quote:
deckhand (2/17/2010)I have a guy working for me that has a metal building package on the ground, but his wife is out of work and he's not getting any overtime so he can't afford to erect it and needs the money from it to pay bills. I'll get the details if your interested. Ken
Yes, PM me.
one big one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

I would give Booker Truss a call. We built a 18 x 40 pole barn last summer using power poles, metal from Baker, and heavy duty metal truss from Booker. You can span 10' between truss because they are so strong. These guys are the best and havethe bestprices too. He worked out the details on the phone and had them ready in 2 days. The number is 850-537-3700.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Snapper

Quote:
deckhand (2/17/2010)I have a guy working for me that has a metal building package on the ground, but his wife is out of work and he's not getting any overtime so he can't afford to erect it and needs the money from it to pay bills. I'll get the details if your interested. Ken
After several PM's on this building here's the info:

Quonset style metal building package locatedin Jay, FL

5 - 6ft straight sidewalls before curving

35ft. x 46ft.size ,1 end solid, 1 end 12x12 opening (no door provided)

Asking $9,000.00 (paid $11,000.00) Call Shane 850-554-6051
deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
White Marlin

Bought and erected a 30x70' (14' at peak)"A" series Steelmaster building 9 years ago.

The full package with both end walls was something just shy of $10k, this included optionalbase channel whichhelps in theconstruction and anchoring the vertical components. Also included 6500 SS nuts and bolts, 2 skylights andstamped drawings. I did the earth work, all forming, footers, rebar + wwf mat. I had the crete placed and finished. 10x14" footers and 7" monolithic slab roughtly 6K. This also included a return trip by the concrete finishers to grout in the base channel. I added 10x12' roll up doors on each end, a man door and window, another 2.5k.

Assembled and stood up all the steel in 9 days (2 people). Keep in mind the assembly and stand up concept is not quite as easy as seen in the ads, we actually used a different method which proved to be much safer for a 2 man crew.

I do remember speaking via phone to a representative at Steelmaster, a very nice older woman and she (strongly) suggestedthat I aggressively negotiate with the sales rep, we did and I think we got a good price.

The building did not budge during Ivan and once landscaped the damn thing looks great.

2100sf at about $10 psf (remember 9-10 years ago). Hope this helps.

Example photo of an "A" Series building with custom front.
Mike aka FishWerks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.