JoeyPattis Restaraunt - Bosa? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default JoeyPattis Restaraunt - Bosa?

Ate at Joey Pattis last nite and the fresh fish of the day was Bosa(?) The cashier stated it was a white fish with the taste of Grouper. Tasted more like Catfish out of the river. Anybody know what kind of fish this was, shrimp was good but that fish was awful.
tommyg003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Still haven't caught a
Sailfish

Default RE: JoeyPattis Restaraunt - Bosa?

Imported catfish from theMekong river, if I remember correctly.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

I've heard that name tossed around at several restaurants lately when questioning them about there menu"Grouper" whatever, ( I have learned the hard way to ask now )......... To me the texture and taste is sorta like Tilapia on steriods ( a lot thicker, similar taste ).......... I know the diff in dressed out price is about $3+ a pound versus $10+ for real grouper... Not sure if the following is the same fish as you described, but your taste bud's were right on if it is...............<H1 class=firstHeading id=firstHeading>Basa fish</H1><DIV id=bodyContent><H3 id=siteSub>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</H3><DIV id=contentSub></DIV><DIV id=jump-to-nav>Jump to: navigation, search</DIV><TABLE class="infobox biota" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; WIDTH: 200px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TBODY><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TH style="BACKGROUND: #d3d3a4">Basa fish</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD></TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d3d3a4"><TH>Conservation status</TH></TR><TR><TD><DIV style="TEXT-ALIGN: center">Secure</DIV></TD></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TH style="BACKGROUND: #d3d3a4">Scientific classification</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD><TABLE style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; MARGIN: 0px auto; TEXT-ALIGN: left" cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>Kingdom:</TD><TD><SPAN class=kingdom>Animalia
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>Phylum:</TD><TD><SPAN class=phylum>Chordata
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>Class:</TD><TD><SPAN class=taxoclass>Actinopterygii
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>Order:</TD><TD><SPAN class=order>Siluriformes
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>Family:</TD><TD><SPAN class=family>Pangasiidae
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>Genus:</TD><TD><SPAN class=genus>Pangasius
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>Species:</TD><TD><SPAN style="WHITE-SPACE: nowrap">P. bocourti
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #d3d3a4"><TH>Binomial name</TH></TR><TR style="TEXT-ALIGN: center"><TD><SPAN class=binomial>Pangasius bocourti
Sauvage, 1880</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The basa fish, Pangasius bocourti, is a type of catfish in the family Pangasiidae. Basa are native to the Mekong River Delta in Vietnam and Chao Phraya basin in Thailand.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-Fishbase_0-0>[1]</SUP> These fish are important food fish with an international market. They are often labeled in the United States as basa fish or bocourti.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-1>[2]</SUP> In Europe, these fish are commonly marketed as pangassius or panga.<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-2>[3]</SUP> Other related shark catfish may occasionally be falsely labeled as basa fish, these fish include Pangasius hypophthalmus (iridescent shark) and Pangasius pangasius (yellowtail catfish).</DIV>
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Still haven't caught a
Sailfish

FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Trigger

tastes fine to me
fishinstevez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Sailfish

This is why I don't deal with any of the Joe Pattie's brands.

Frank claims that imports ruined thelocal seafood supply, but he is lying out of his ass. They import cheap crap to sell locally and export all of the high-quality local seafood to New York or Canada were it is worth three times as much. The customer along with the fishermen get shafted and ol' Franky makes a pile of money.
P-cola_Native is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Basa is from the Maekong river. If you look hard enough on the internet you will see that these catfish are raised in pins and are loaded with heavy antibiotics to speed their growth. And what people do not realize that what is up river is a large village that dead bodies and fecal matter is going in the river. Also I have seen a fish that is even a lower grade that Basa called Suchi that is served in some of the restaurants in lower Alabama. And when you ask the waitress what kind of fish it is she will tell you it is a saltwater fish from America. That is BS.:nonono
Bamasnapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
Snapper

The guys that owns the 9 mile store is a crook. He served time one in the federal pen for ripping people of and was recently jailed again on simular charges. He has ripped off many suppliers and contractors in the area. BEWARE!!!!!!!
Inn Deep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Also, whether you like them or not, Capt. Joey Pattis has nothing to do with Joe Patti's seafood other than having a similar name.
Too TALL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
Sailfish

BASA is one of the reasons our catfish farming is in the shotter. I've had friends in walnut hill shutdown 'cause they can't compete with the low cost of importing these crap fish.

They may taste fine for some, but I won't be eating them. They make me sick just thinking about all the people in this country that are hurt by these imports.

The same with the shrimp they import. I'd pay fives times as much if I had to just to support our local suppliers that sell local seafood, or any from this country.
Collard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.