Get ready for higher taxes... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > General Discussion > Off Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Get ready for higher taxes...

<U>http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-lahood-vehicle-mileage-tax,0,6754105,print.story</U>
Boatjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Get ready for higher taxes...

What is wrong with paying for what you use? I think its a good idea. Pay tax on miles driven and weight of vehicle. I don't know why they'd want a freaking GPS sticker when the tax collector already keeps track of mileage upon renewal.

Hell, I wish everything would go to fee for use. Boat ramps, roads, public schools, public parks, libraries. You name it. They should start charging sales tax for every freaking cent of things purchased on the internet too. That's not fair to local business at all. How about charge by the ton for the garbage you throw out instead of a per month fee. If a water meter or electric meter is fair, what's wrong with a mileage charge for roads. Make the people using them pay for what it actually costs and people will probably stop wasting so much and traffic will go down.
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Sailfish

I think the LAST thing we need is more costs to OTR shipping.

Diesel costs, IMHO, are one of the kickers that got us in this shitstorm we are in.

Most everything goes truck freight in some way shape or form.

How about we start CUTTING waste rather than collecting more from people who don't friggin have it!

hebegb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Ok so I get 20 miles per gal of diesel... 1/4 of a cent per mile would be $.05 for those 20 miles.

Can't figure out why your link doesn't work:banghead:banghead

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationwo...05,print.story<H4><SPAN class=editsection>[edit] <SPAN class=mw-headline>United States</H4>

Fuel taxes in the United States vary by state. For the first quarter of 2008, the average state gasoline tax is 28.6 cents per US gallon, ("The idea also is gaining ground in several states. Governors in Idaho and Rhode Island are talking about such programs, and a North Carolina panel suggested in December the state start charging motorists a quarter-cent for every mile as a substitute for the gas tax.") plus 18.4 cents per US gallon federal tax making the total 47 cents per US gallon (12.4/L). For diesel, the average state tax is 29.2 cents per US gallon plus an additional 24.4 cents per US gallon federal tax making the total 53.6 cents US per gallon
Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Snapper

There are some people that can barely afford to drive their vehicles right now, put another tax on them and it could mean them losing the only means of transport they have, and as we have decided that public transportation to and from the suburbs to our commercial, industrial districts and other work areas, is not needed, those people will have to cut back in other areas, like maintenance and maybe safety of their vehicles, dropping insurance and so forth, just to be able to get to work.

How about cutting out the unnecessary positions in our out of control, ballooning Govt. first, reduce all of the special interest spending and pork they keep adding to various bills, and get back to a smaller, leaner and more efficient Govt.

On second thoughts, this is America, the Land of the Brave and the over taxed, apathetic folks, that will never work.

I hope all that voted this parasite into office are enjoying the CHANGE he is, and will be, bringing to this wonderful country.

It's a real shame, that in the 14 years I have lived here, I have unfortunately had to witness it go down hill so rapidly.

Still, at least we all still have the option to move to another Country......don't we???

Skippy
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
White Marlin

Quote:
Xanadu (2/20/2009)What is wrong with paying for what you use? I think its a good idea. Hell, I wish everything would go to fee for use.... public schools, public parks, libraries. You name it.
Taxing for public schools andlibrary use is abad idea.

What about socioeconomically challenged kids?

Some of these crazy parents can't, or wouldn't pay for public school and library use and then we are left with another kid who isuneducated, unemployableand aburden on society.

what would be the options for an elementary school kid whose parents did not pay?

Mark W
markw4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Snapper

Helloooo. Are we not already paying a tax on milage? The more miles I drive the more gas I use. The Government already taxes the gasoline so the more I drive the more tax I pay. :doh
Old 02-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
markw4321 (2/20/2009)
Quote:
Xanadu (2/20/2009)What is wrong with paying for what you use? I think its a good idea. Hell, I wish everything would go to fee for use.... public schools, public parks, libraries. You name it.

Taxing for public schools andlibrary use is abad idea.

What about socioeconomically challenged kids?

Some of these crazy parents can't, or wouldn't pay for public school and library use and then we are left with another kid who isuneducated, unemployableand aburden on society.

what would be the options for an elementary school kid whose parents did not pay?

Mark W

Who cares? Their parents should work harder, get smarter and be responsible.

If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em. Send them to Mexico. All I care about is a tax cut and I really want people to pay their own way. The Republicans have won and I concede. I'm sick of carrying the lazy and stupid on my tax dollars.
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
White Marlin

Who cares? Their parents should work harder, get smarter and be responsible.

If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em. Send them to Mexico. .

--------------------------------------------------------------

That's the funniest thing i've read in a while. If it were only that easy.

Mark W

markw4321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Blue Marlin

this is one of the "more stupid" things I have read.

Florida is a Tourist state, think of the impacts on this state, heck, no one would drive here. The airlines are charging HUGE bucks for additional bags and the such now. Will it ever end?
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.